ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Effect of using old polish

OK, I admit, instead of doing the sensible thing and popping up to Halfrauds to buy some AG or something, I ransacked the cupboard at home and found some halfords own make colour restorer which I think I bought in the late 1990's!!

Slapped it on (poured out of the bottle like water) then buffed it off.

OMG, the car now looks pretty shocking. Very greasy, can't get rid of the smeary circles, and has done nothing but make the car look like its covered in swirl scratches.

I heard a rumour that washing the car using washing up liquid will strip the polish back off. Is this true?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
OK, I admit, instead of doing the sensible thing and popping up to Halfrauds to buy some AG or something, I ransacked the cupboard at home and found some halfords own make colour restorer which I think I bought in the late 1990's!!

Slapped it on (poured out of the bottle like water) then buffed it off.

OMG, the car now looks pretty shocking. Very greasy, can't get rid of the smeary circles, and has done nothing but make the car look like its covered in swirl scratches.

I heard a rumour that washing the car using washing up liquid will strip the polish back off. Is this true?
Let me point out exactly where you went wrong.

JD will be along soon.

Colour restorer? Really mate!

Ah, JD arrives.

I was hoping of something better though lol

Any advice on how I rectify this disaster? Car is metallic black.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lols!

Colour restorer on a COB car? Come on mate! That's even stupid for a scots person!

And forget the Fairy idea!

LSP stripper is best of using Chem Guys Citrus Wash. This will rid the car of the greasey colour restorer.

Next, polish the car with SRP. Then protect it with EGP.

You can do a lot more, but by the fact that you're in this mess in the first place, I'm guessing you're not that bothered about getting the paint work pristine.

+doing a few sums, that little lot will set you back under 30£.

Hmmm, do I admit that I was working with a valeting company for a few months, where I was sent on an Autoglym course and obtained a certificate...........hmmm, nah, I will keep that quiet for now.

Believe it or not, I do actually pride myself in my cars. I have spent many an hour outside of an evening with the polish and tyre shine (only to get out of the house though as the ex I lived with was a class A b1tch)

I do want to get the paintwork pristine, although I don't have a Machine Polisher, and to be honest when I practiced with one on the AG course I was really sh1t at it, so not something I am confident doing (especially on plastic bits)

I've only ever used AG products, so thanks for the suggestions of other products. You use LSP, SRP and EGP. I assume that they are abbreviations? EGP I assume is Extra Gloss Protection. What are the others?

Super resin polish, extra gloss protection, and lousy Scottish polisher (that's you)

lol, can't argue with the LSP bit at all so won't even try to defend myself.

Erm, I used it in direct sunlight too. Panels were quite hot to touch........

Lol at Lousy Scottish Polisher. My new nickname for a few on here!

LSP is last stage protection. Usually wax/sealent stripper, but in this case it will act as a greasey polish stripper. And yes, it is paint safe.

SRP is Super Resin Polish - great all rounder.

And yes, EGP is Extra Gloss Protection.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
PMSL at this. I wouldn't even bother mate, take it to the foreign £3 car wash, they do a great job.

PMSL at this. I wouldn't even bother mate, take it to the foreign £3 car wash, they do a great job.

Precisely, as long as you're

blind-man.jpg

G51 BEN
Hate polishing my car, looks really nice then I parked it outside my mates house under a tree the next day, came back to it a few hours later and its covered in sappy stuff. To the touch it felt like small rough raindrops... guessing its sap from a mighty oak or something?