ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Eibach Sportlines sitting 15mm higher at the back than the front?!

ph1 172
Afternoon all,

After recently fitting some second hand Sportlines on my Trophy suspension, I can't help but hate the look of it.

It sits 15mm higher at the back than the front. Could some of this be down to the AST top mounts making the front a bit lower as I have read on here a few times? 15mm seems alot!

The front looks spot on for my liking, so I was thinking about maybe running coilover springs and adjusters on the rear along with my Trophy rear dampers. That way I can match the 15mm difference in height to the front.

What do we think? Will this unsettle the setup massively?

the rear wi8ll always sit higher mate due to nor having the engine weight on them and id say yes they will settle in as they did with mine when i fitted them

225 Cup & Williams
They will settle a little bit but not much. Personally I like the nose down stance these springs give.

225 Cup & Williams
Nah they won't settle another 15mm on the rear. You have to remember there is very little weight on the rear so these springs wont really lower much at all on the rear as that's not there purpose.

ph1 172
Its just I look at other peoples clio's on sportlines and they look like they sit lower at the back, but mine sits lower than others at the front.

I shall go and get a picture

ph1 172
Mine have settled pretty much level.

Sure they are seated correctly.

Yes they are seated correctly!:)

I cannot get a decent picture as both cars are in the garage and its cold out there you know:rasp:

Here is when I first fitted them, they sit exactly the same now. Bare in mind these springs are over a year old anyway.

IMG_0145.JPG

The AST topmount will lower the front quite a bit due to them being quite a bit shorter than the standard mounts. When I fitted mine the front end dropped about 10-15mm.

ph1 172
That is probably what it is then. So annoying as I am fussy and want to sort out the back end as it currently sits very close to standard.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I know I should remember as I had it here for days, but is the back of the car stripped out?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
eibachs never sit low enough in general IMO, but yours has that nose down thing going on. did occur that it might be the shocks on the front being shorter? (not sure if they are, never measured)

ph1 172
The Sachs dampers have less travel than Cup dampers but the spring is still the same, which determines the ride height so I can only really put it down to the ast top mounts, as built up, these are shorter in depth than the standard Renault ones.

Just out of interest, what price would it be Dan for a set of your rear springs and adjusters?

From the picture you posted, does look a bit weird. Although going by the Sportline thread in Clio Media, how much they seem to lower by is a complete lottery anyway. But yours does definitely look weird, Rear looks standard height?

Danny if you recommended just lowering springs, what would you recommend out of interest?

ph1 172
I think the rear is about standard height! From the ground to the bottom of the wheel arch is 610mm. Can anyone measure theirs?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
From the picture you posted, does look a bit weird. Although going by the Sportline thread in Clio Media, how much they seem to lower by is a complete lottery anyway. But yours does definitely look weird, Rear looks standard height?

Danny if you recommended just lowering springs, what would you recommend out of interest?

I sell a fair few PI springs, and whenever they go on with good condition dampers, I have a happy customer. I always used to use them on 205 GTI's and they were great on those too.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Sportlines do lower front 15mm approx more than rear , just done mine but if you measure top of arch front and rear to ground you will find they are about the same dimension IIRC

ph1 172
Sportlines do lower front 15mm approx more than rear , just done mine but if you measure top of arch front and rear to ground you will find they are about the same dimension IIRC

My front arch from ground is 595mm and rear is 610mm

Just out of interest what are yours?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
My front arch from ground is 595mm and rear is 610mm

Just out of interest what are yours?

About 600 both Arches but mine is on 17's which are 4mm different in overall diameter inc tyres so less 2mm off that makes it 598ish if it was on 16s.

ph1 172
Thanks for that

So it seems that mine sits alittle high at the back anyway then at 610?! Strange. And its not as if they need to settle as they are over a year old.

Danny that looks a perfect height. Can't help but feel that's more than the 25mm stated in your trader section?
Or is it the same as with that sportline thread, where the supposed same spring seemed to give quite big variations in how much they lowered.
Probably due to the surface people had parked on to make them look lower..

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Danny that looks a perfect height. Can't help but feel that's more than the 25mm stated in your trader section?
Or is it the same as with that sportline thread, where the supposed same spring seemed to give quite big variations in how much they lowered.
Probably due to the surface people had parked on to make them look lower..

says 25mm in the listing, but it's a bit more in reality. Pretty consistent though

PB Clio 172
the front is meant to be lower on sportlines ! most if not all FF are lower at the front and its just common sense!

Impreza Wagon
Try and get some more pics posted up, the rear does seem rather high. I imagine the top mounts have lowered the front as mentioned which makes the rear look higher than it actually is.

ph1 172
I will try and get some half decent pics up on Saturday of it.

Nose down is common sense yes as you transport passengers which lower your ride height. Mine is taking the mick, not common sense

ph1 172
For all the people saying nose down.
As you say Rhys There's nose down stance, and then there's the your stance. Pretty different.

Very true. Mine is 15mm different! Thats about the difference between having sportlines and not lol
I shall get some decents pics up Saturday

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I used to have a set of springs that were custom made around the eibach sportline profile.

I would get yourself a set of custom springs knocked up that are around 10-15mm shorter.

Have you tried sitting in the back of it to try and bed them in a little?

ph1 172
Have you tried sitting in the back of it to try and bed them in a little?

They are bedded in, they are over a year old! lol

Don't want to go into custom springs really, will probably end up putting coilover springs and adjusters on the back so I can match the height of the front.

Impreza Wagon
How about fitting the OEM rears and measuring the distance? You'll then know if the sportlines are actually lowering the rear.

ph1 172
It doesn't really matter in a way I think as for me they look stupid and are no good. Therefore, they will need to be replaced