ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EK9 or Clio 172

Are you unable to read or just choosing to pull a strawman out of your ass? (look that up if you don't understand what it means)

You were the one saying it was ugly, I simply pointed out that it isn't an ugly car which you subsequently agreed after seeing that picture. You place an importance on it, stated that was why you wouldn't even consider one then backed down when shown a picture. That does not change the fact I chose a car based on function over form.

Black 182 FF
Are you unable to read or just choosing to pull a strawman out of your ass? (look that up if you don't understand what it means)

You were the one saying it was ugly, I simply pointed out that it isn't an ugly car which you subsequently agreed after seeing that picture. You place an importance on it, stated that was why you wouldn't even consider one then backed down when shown a picture. That does not change the fact I chose a car based on function over form.

I still think it's normally an ugly car. I place importance on that as you surely would when evaluating a car. You on the other hand insisted it didn't matter, made fun of the idea it did and then posted pictures trying to justify it and started talking about looks on other cars - wtf? Think you're a bit mixed up.

I never backed down, nor did I "subsequently agree" I said and I quote "but that first picture looks ok" - I was trying to give a bit of leeway. As a rule I still think they're an ugly car.

I owned a GT Turbo many years ago which should show how much importance I place on the looks of a car ;) I'm not mixed up in the slightest, just because I don't place importance on the looks when buying a car does not mean I'm unable to make a judgment or pass comment on how something looks regardless of it's impact or lack there of on my choice.

Jap Shed
Both great, My ek9 with decent exhaust is faster than my 172 with -63kg exhaust and inlets. proven with my old mans VBOX. only time it was slower was from under 4000rpm in gear.

handling wise the 9 is king in my opinion, track inc.

and for some reason I hated spending cash on the 172 but dont mind on the 9.

Lee.

Clio RS 172
I've had both. My ek9 was dyno'd @ 178bhp but my 172 feels equally as fast and is way easier to live with as a daily driver because of the torque. The 172 is like a go-kart, handles way better than the 9 IMO. The Clio is way more of a drivers car, hands down.

Black 182 FF
I owned a GT Turbo many years ago which should show how much importance I place on the looks of a car ;) I'm not mixed up in the slightest, just because I don't place importance on the looks when buying a car does not mean I'm unable to make a judgment or pass comment on how something looks regardless of it's impact or lack there of on my choice.

I thought the R5GT was a good looking car, definitely had a bit of road presence about it and it's a car I loved driving at the time.

Though maybe that tops the whole thing off - I think we just like different things!

Civic EK9 Type R
I've had both. My ek9 was dyno'd @ 178bhp but my 172 feels equally as fast and is way easier to live with as a daily driver because of the torque. The 172 is like a go-kart, handles way better than the 9 IMO. The Clio is way more of a drivers car, hands down.

Hahaha i own both and if you think the 172 handles better than the EK9 you must be having a laugh!! There is no chance the 172 handles better!! 172 is more of a drivers car? Don't get me wrong the 172 has similar power and a bit more tourque but get a grip if you think it handles better!! The LSD for one will make it handle better!!

172 cup TT
when they hit v-tec theyre an animal???
a mouse maybe but..,...
no wonder there are a lot of v-tec just kicked in jokes flying around, personaly 'the changeover' just seems like more noise and not much more oomph all the way up to 9kish
if ever a car was over rated..... the ek9...

Joeh - clear your PMs mate i have been trying to get hold of you but it wont go through... Thanks buddy

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive driven both quite a bit, as much as the ek9 is a good drivers car, i feel it falls 2nd best to the 172 in every area apart from driving position. an animal on vtec lol all that noise and no power its like waiting for bad sex. my modified ph2 used to be a good bit quicker than them and id imagine my basically standard ph1 would be on par if not quicker

tenner bet the op's car has shot rear dampers.

Megane 225 F1
If I had the money I would have gone with the Ek9.

IMO if I did have the money it would be worth it. Buying a car that old for that much isn't such a bad thing as it will still be worth a lot when you came to resell. And they are just f**king amazing cars and I cannot wait for the day where I get to be a passenger in one and when I get to drive one.

Next car I think.

I too wouldn't own something i didn't like the look of! Regardless of how it drives. It has to be be a complete package, not just half. So much choice out there, the only compromise you 'need' to make, is what you can get with your budget.

I'm a Japanese car fan at heart, and happen to think the EK9's are dog ugly. Give me a EP3 all day long!! OH has had a full fat 182 and currently has a EP3 CTR. His personal choice to drive, is that the EP3 is far more involved & responsive. It's all down to personal pref at the end of the day!! (& the EP3 looks better imo ;) )

Not everyone just likes how a car drives, most people want to enjoy the looks too.

EP3 has abysmal steering feel (lack of) it's the only let down IMO. Great driving position cracking engine and gearbox, corners very flat. For those bothered about looks it's not pretty either and suffers from the same "every knobhead in a baseball cap has one image" much like the Clio now does. Joys of them having dropped in price so much and there being so many about. That's before you count all the type s lookalikes.

EP3 has abysmal steering feel (lack of) it's the only let down IMO. Great driving position cracking engine and gearbox, corners very flat. For those bothered about looks it's not pretty either and suffers from the same "every knobhead in a baseball cap has one image" much like the Clio now does. Joys of them having dropped in price so much and there being so many about. That's before you count all the type s lookalikes.

Really? I love the feed back through the steering! & i happen to think it looks absolutely brilliant, love the lines and the standard wheels/exhaust.

See, it's all down to personal preference.... Good job we aren't all the same :)

Unfortunately still out of my price range though...

The steering is rubbish on them. I got to drive one a lot back when my dad had one prior to buying my 172 new. This was back when there weren't many EP3's on the road and I just couldn't put up with the steering. It's why I ended up buying my 172 in 02 rather than the CTR. Few on here who've driven both found the same issue.

I must be odd then! The first time i drove the CTR i loved the steering feel. Makes my 172 seem like a mini tank :dapprove:

I actually probably won't keep the 172 very long at all, it's just not got 'it' for me. Going to book some track tuition, see how that goes first. I want to keep it though to keep costs down!! I just can't put my finger on it at the moment! It's just not doing it for me.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
same opinion here, i drove one a few years back when i was 18 and it was between either an ep3 or 172, i set out to get the ep3 but then decided to test a few other cars on offer and thats how i ended up with the 172, the ep3 lacked steering feel and the 172s low down grunt was much better around town

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
The 172 squeezes it for me- the EK9 is raw is more of a Phase 1 type way,- I think overall the whole 'experience & package of a 172' pips the EK9-
I must admit the roar from the engine at 8.5k revs is exciting, but other than that its a rattly old honda-- of course when I sell it soon it will be a different story- but then im not the one interested in buying it......

S

Disastra Coupe
Jeeeez, bit heated in here folks.

Must admit though, i wouldn't buy a car if i didn't like the look of it - Fabia VRS... Meant to be very good cars... I still wouldn't buy one though. A) I don't like the looks and B) call me all you want but i couldn't live with a Skoda badge haha. Although i must admit, i've warmed ever so slightly to the Octavia's after seeing someone else's from another forum.

To me a car i'm buying has to look smart (imo) and drive well. I wouldn't want one without the other.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I don't know how Citroen/Renault owners can possibly criticise the Skoda badge? The only manufacturers below the French are the Koreans imo!

Disastra Coupe
Lol, was waiting for someone to say that :p I just like my french car's though. I can also like anything else though... As i said, i don't mind the Octavia, but i would have to drive one to make me certain i'd put up with the Skoda badge! Lol.

You see plenty of people into Jap car's who will call anything that isn't Jap. And Dubber's who will call anything that isn't Dub. These type of people annoy me a great deal. Imo, a car enthusiast can like any car. It doesn't have to just be from one country or manufacturer.

Disastra Coupe
I'm about to swap the Beeza for an Octavia.

EK9 or 172...neither!

A lad's from another forum i use:

4941018634_5bb271d4e7_b.jpg

That's the car that actually made me think twice about them lol.

MCS R56
That looks better than the one I'm acquiring. Nice rims. They look very basic and dated these days.

LOLz at hijacking Civic v Clio thread with Skodas!!

Last edited:
  Jap Shed
If I had the money I would have gone with the Ek9.

IMO if I did have the money it would be worth it. Buying a car that old for that much isn't such a bad thing as it will still be worth a lot when you came to resell. And they are just f**king amazing cars and I cannot wait for the day where I get to be a passenger in one and when I get to drive one.

Next car I think.
I will be in Blandford a week fri if you want a spin.