ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electric Power Steering in an 03 Clio

Hey Guys, Bought an 03 clio about 2 months ago and i got into the car one day and the steering wheel started making a noise, only way i can describe this noise is its like squeeking but a scobing you can feel. I took it to the mechanic and he said it was the Electric Power Steering Motor inside the steering wheel. Im a tad skepticle because he said he has never fitted one before and i wanted to ask people who knew clios best; about the problem. The handling of the car seems fine and the steering seems light when im on the go but can be heavy when idle. But i think thats normal..?

The Clio is 100% an EPS Model. I looked so much for the PS Reservoir to no avail. I was wondering if anyone knows a simple fix to this and if replacing this motor is expensive/difficult because he never gave me a straight price.

Thanks in Advance.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
A complete column with motor and ecu is about 80 quid secondhand, there are two colours of main wire, swap like for like.

Its not a trivial job to fit, but its not beyond a reasonable DIY mechanic.

If you use new parts, I would expect its expensive.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Squeaking could be or could be the bearings or loads of other things, I dont know what "scobing" is so cant comment on that.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
As the car has electric power steering it doesn't have a power steering reservoir.

It has a motor behind the dash which is attached to the column.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/renault-c...rParts_SM&fits=Model:Clio&hash=item41799f4916 (the steering wheel attached on the top left)

You can replace the motor with relatively little problem.

Take the top dash off, unplug the power cable from the ps ecu which is located behind the headlight level switch. Remove the 2 torx bolts which hold the motor to the column (quite fiddly and need a good selection of extenders and flexible joints) then the motor should come out.

Replace and put all the bits back.

Assuming this is your problem you could have this done in about 90 minutes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/02-Renaul...005&prg=9063&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=281279604031&rt=nc

Idle will not affect the steering. Dry steering is of course heavier than moving. The ECU adjusted the motor assistance based on the speed of the car. Believe below 5mph or something the steering is on the heaviest assistance setting.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Reason I was suggesting a complete column, is it will replace the top bearings etc then too, I am highly skeptical its the actual motor itself TBH.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Same mate. Haven't heard of the motor going really. Whole column is slightly trickier if you aren't that confident though (what if the car has no steering etc!)

To change the EPAS column it's easiest to take the whole lower dash off because of the motor. Or you can do as I said earlier and remove the motor and do some wiggling.

Thats great guys, Thank you so much for your help. IS there an risk to this? Can the steering wheel seize up or anything?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
If you do everything methodically and take your time no.

Write a list of every part you take off in order and then follow it back when reassembling.

Should you doubt anything just put some loctite on all the bolts you undo and put back together. Don't do that on the dash trim etc but on the mechanical moving parts you can.

Need any more help drop me a PM

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Problems tend not to get better unfortunately.

Further damage (to other parts) is unlikely. To the column, if it's the bearings, motor, they might just give out one day but it would take a while.

You'll likely have to repair before sale so it's best to bite the bullet and do it. Give it a go yourself though as there isn't much you can break if anything. If you encounter a problem we can give you a hand on here.