ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electrical connector/battery help

Basically a few months ago I bought a very expensive gimbal for filming weddings etc with a DSLR for my business. All working great used it on a few shoots - it has a little bluetooth controller that basically controls all the functions and I'm now having issues with it.

Suspect the battery in the controller has give up and no longer holding charge. Can leave it on all night and then it doesn't turn on but it will turn on when USB power is applied and then goes off as soon as you take external power away. These are £80+ new so I don't want to fork out for one after spending over a grand on the gimbal if I can avoid it.

Have opened it up and found the battery is readily available on ebay - my problem is that the new batteries come with bare wires.

I've de pinned the connector I need to use on the board but I need pointing in the direction of where to pick up some of the terminal/connector things that go into the plastic connector.

Pictures worth a thousand words:

IMG_8927.jpg
IMG_8928.jpg
IMG_8929.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 21.07.17.png

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Grabbed 2 off fleabay saying end of july - early august for delivery, see how long it actually takes!

Probably as good thing, 50/50 chance the battery will die on it's arse after a short while anyway.

Kinda like the original did I guess.

Probably as good thing, 50/50 chance the battery will die on it's arse after a short while anyway.

Kinda like the original did I guess.

Yeah that's my thinking, if I can find the connectors and get it working easy enough I'll buy another couple put the connectors on and just keep them as spares.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
were i up and running in my workshop i have a load, i could send you a couple, but they are pack away somewhere in my garage. no idea where they are without emptying my whole garage.

they are standard connetors, RS do them.

other option cut the old wires and just join new wires to old wires and leave white connector block alone.

were i up and running in my workshop i have a load, i could send you a couple, but they are pack away somewhere in my garage. no idea where they are without emptying my whole garage.

they are standard connetors, RS do them.

other option cut the old wires and just join new wires to old wires and leave white connector block alone.

Have just ordered a couple of ebay, just hope they're the right size. Had to order the crimping tool also so it will stand me about £20 if it works which is better than £80 for a replacement unit with a battery.

Couldn't find them on RS as there's just too many components on there haha

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 16.12.10.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 16.12.10.png
    301 KB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 16.12.37.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 16.12.37.png
    289.9 KB · Views: 31

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Have just ordered a couple of ebay, just hope they're the right size. Had to order the crimping tool also so it will stand me about £20 if it works which is better than £80 for a replacement unit with a battery.

Couldn't find them on RS as there's just too many components on there haha
i wouldnt have bothered with crimper, those ends/connectors are so small i normally find the wire just slides out once crimped. a drop of solder normally does the job just perfect.

but seriously if you have the new battery already, cut the old wires off the battery, cut as close to battery as you can so you have some wire to work with. and just twist new and old together, add a drop of solder and cover with heat shrink wrap and job done. not as clean as new connectors but will be a good solid joint

i wouldnt have bothered with crimper, those ends/connectors are so small i normally find the wire just slides out once crimped. a drop of solder normally does the job just perfect.

but seriously if you have the new battery already, cut the old wires off the battery, cut as close to battery as you can so you have some wire to work with. and just twist new and old together, add a drop of solder and cover with heat shrink wrap and job done. not as clean as new connectors but will be a good solid joint

That's my back up plan, it lives in the housing so won't need a rock solid connection. If the crimps are a t**t I'll just snip and splice them in like suggested!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
That's my back up plan, it lives in the housing so won't need a rock solid connection. If the crimps are a t**t I'll just snip and splice them in like suggested!
if the crimp doesnt work, add some solder to the top of the connector where the wire comes in.