ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electrical Gurus HELP

I've got this little Alpine box that allows me to control the stereo through the Clio stalk controls - but also shows the current track on the dash display
As the stereo in my car is in the glovebox this was really handy

However a month ago the display stopped working
When I had a look a the wiring 2 of the wires have snapped off the connector.
There are a couple snapped off the main connector now too that supply power and earth but I'm just going to hard wire those in

I need to fix this 14-pin connector that goes into the unit as the red+white wires that have snapped off are the signal for the display from what I can tell

I can't work out how to get the pins out to remake them - and I can't find any connectors the same to buy on ebay. They almost look like the old ATX power things you got on pc motherboards

Anyway I'm open to options - if there's another connector I could solder onto the PCB and use that's fine, or ideally if there's a way I can remove the 2 pins and reconnect the wires that would be good too

If there's any electrical whizkids who can fix it for me there's definitely some beer money in it

Here's the pics.. (sorry they're crappy iPhone ones)

Photo%2031-07-2012%2017%2021%2040.jpg

Photo%2031-07-2012%2017%2021%2058.jpg

Photo%2031-07-2012%2017%2022%2028.jpg

Photo%2031-07-2012%2017%2022%2039.jpg

Oh by the way I've seen these 14-pin connectors on some of the connects2 stuff - so if it's an option to buy another connector and solder the wiring together that might work too

RX7 FD
It is possible to get those metal connectors out. BUT they are a complete s**t because when you push those ones into the block in order to stay secured there are little fins that pop out so you cannot just pull them back. I cannot for the life of me remember what they are called!

If it was me I would buy a new connector and just resolder. Easy as pie!

I have the terminals, connector wise i dont keep though but could just supply a patch lead connector and you could then rewire, I need to check the connector is the same number of pins though
And for whoever said looks like the connects 2 connectors its because they built them

The pins are a 'Molex crimp' type.

I would drill out the pins in both the header and socket and feed wires through which are connected to the relevant part of the PCB and harness.

Or, you could cut away the plastic and just solder the wires back onto the molex crimps.

I have the terminals, connector wise i dont keep though but could just supply a patch lead connector and you could then rewire, I need to check the connector is the same number of pins though
And for whoever said looks like the connects 2 connectors its because they built them

Ahhh that makes sense then haha

I've managed to get the 2 metal pins out the connector block now by pushing staples either side of them and then pulling
I don't think I'll be able to recrimp the pins because they're tiny
So my plan now is either to find a couple of the little pins and a crimping tool and crimp them back on - or solder them on

My next issue is I don't know which pin was red and which was white LOL

MT - do you have any pics of this adaptor so I could check which way round the pins are meant to go? Or a wiring diagram?

RX7 FD
If you want the best possible connection please solder them. At work it is the method I prefer, even better solder and crimp the mudda's!

You can recrimp them if you are really gentle with them. The crimping part of the molex (thank you for putting me out of my misery JPY) isn't too important if your happy soldering and having a half bodge job. The main ones to worry about are the locating pins towards the tips of the connector. As long as these click back in you are going to be fine.

Yeah the locating pins are fine - i've pursueded them out a bit to were they need to be
I'll put a bit of solder on tomorrow to secure the wires - just need to work out which way round they need to go now LOL

Found some pics online

alpine-apf-d101re-interface-commande-au-volant-et-afficheur-deporte-renault-44986-750x475.jpg

alpine-apf-d101re-interface-commande-au-volant-et-afficheur-deporte-renault-44988-773x650.jpg

Looks to me like the red wire goes in the top pin and the white wire goes in the bottom next to the black wire

Fingers crossed that's right :D
I'll put a bit of solder on them and try hooking it up - see what happens

Bit of a frustating follow up to this

I bought a cable from the connects2 kit which had the same 3 pins that were broke on mine (GENIUS)
Cut all the plastic away on the new kit and used the cable to repair mine

It turns out those pins were actually for the stalk control - there was another cable broken that stopped the display working
So anyway now the display works perfectly again (YAY) and the stalk controls work EXCEPT volume up LOL
I'm so confused - every other control on the stalk works perfectly but volume up doesn't

Anyone got any ideas? I thought it might be the stalk itself but I took it to bits and can't see anything wrong - it's a fairly simple arrangement of buttons
I can't work out where those button clicks get turned into a signal for the stereo - the wiring seems to go to the clock display on the dash... is there a chip in that or something?

Close to giving up lol