ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electrical query

Renault Clio S
I have an electrical question for anyone who understands the working of amps, volts, etc.

My Dyson (DC04) has developed a snag in the power cable resulting in a severed earth wire. My thinking is to cut the damaged section out and join the wires using a two-core connector. Simple!

However, having searched online and around most electrical stores in central London, I can only find 5 amp / 250 volt two-core connectors, where as the power specifications on the plug of the Dyson read 13 amp /250 volt. All 13 amp connectors I have found are for 3 core flex only

Any suggestions? I did think about simply using electrical tape to join the wires but that’s too dodgy for my liking.

Ta.

BMW M135i
Solder and heatshrink. Or disconnect the flex internally from the hoover and replace it completely.

Renault Clio S
Has been suggested, but don't have the tools for soldering.

Considered replacing the flex, but removing the switch is an absolute b*stard. Have tried, even using a guide from Dyson, but I get the impression they would prefer you not to fix it and simply but a new one.

Last edited:
  Renault Clio S
Brilliant! Spend £250 on a new hoover instead of £3 on a cable connector. Problem solved.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I have an electrical question for anyone who understands the working of amps, volts, etc.

My Dyson (DC04) has developed a snag in the power cable resulting in a severed earth wire. My thinking is to cut the damaged section out and join the wires using a two-core connector. Simple!

However, having searched online and around most electrical stores in central London, I can only find 5 amp / 250 volt two-core connectors, where as the power specifications on the plug of the Dyson read 13 amp /250 volt. All 13 amp connectors I have found are for 3 core flex only

Any suggestions? I did think about simply using electrical tape to join the wires but that’s too dodgy for my liking.

Ta.

What you actually need to know is the number of watts that it uses, then you can work out how much current actually passes through it.

Or the actual current consumption used by it (which will tell you watts).

What you've seen on the plug is almost certainly just saying that it's a standard 13 amp plug, it's not telling you the power consumption of the Hoover, because that would mean your Hoover is 2.8 kilowatts which sounds an awful lot excessive.

clio 182 black /gold
Or just wire the broken part direct in to a 3pin plug. Depending on where it has been damaged.

Polo + Micra
get one of these

just make sure you connect it up right

what i don't get is how you have a severed earth and think you can get away with only connecting the phase and neutral?

Renault Clio S
What you actually need to know is the number of watts that it uses, then you can work out how much current actually passes through it.

Or the actual current consumption used by it (which will tell you watts).

What you've seen on the plug is almost certainly just saying that it's a standard 13 amp plug, it's not telling you the power consumption of the Hoover, because that would mean your Hoover is 2.8 kilowatts which sounds an awful lot excessive.

Thanks for this. You're no doubt correct, the 13 AMP ref on the plug does not relate to the power consumption of the hoover which, based on what've said sounds excessive. I have since managed to find a 2-core 13 AMP connector so I should be safe to use this, assuming the hoover will be well under 13 AMP limit of the connector.

Last edited:
  Renault Clio S
get one of these

just make sure you connect it up right

what i don't get is how you have a severed earth and think you can get away with only connecting the phase and neutral?

Probably getting my wires crossed (sorry, that's aweful) It's a 2 core flex with blue and brown wires. Blue is neutral? Therefore no earth?

R

random172

It's not earthed, so your wires are live + neutral.
Get what Dink suggested and just connect up the 2 wires leaving the other spare. that seems to be the cheapest option on the table.

Polo + Micra
there is a version that doesn't come apart if you prefer that. this

most electrical wholesalers sell them and most probably the likes of b&q

Renault Clio S
Cheers, thanks for all your advice. I can now hoover out the Clio. The house can wait.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Right, power consumption of hoover = 1200 watts. Therefore a 13 AMP / 250 volt connector should be fine, based on the Amps x Volts = Watage. The max load of my connector would therefore be 3'250 watts?

Not quite, it's amps & volts that the cable is interested in, not watts. Watts just tell you power consumption. (It was just that telling us the wattage of the hoover would allow us to figure out amps)

The 13A & 250V just tell you that those are the maximum current OR maximum voltage that the connector it is rated for.

For example drawing 50 amps at 5V will melt the cable but only consume 250 watts.