ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electronics

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I found a video of the system I developed using a Raspberry Pi (Think it was a Pi 2), this is quite a few years old.

The application is written using Qt and the GUI is a Qml frontend with C++ backend. It's a controller system that was used in our building, we developed all the hardware ourselves, it controlled lighting, fire alarms and heating, each room has it's own controller system using a ARM Microcontroller with ethernet interface.

Archtronics

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
So I’m lockdown bored and fusion 360 has added a electronics package so figured I may as well learn it.

Anyone recommend something that I can work on as an example that’s going to teach me a decent amount as well?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
So I’m lockdown bored and fusion 360 has added a electronics package so figured I may as well learn it.

Anyone recommend something that I can work on as an example that’s going to teach me a decent amount as well?
What do you know?

There are a load of books that vary in complexity on the theory of electronics, ones like "practical electronics for inventors" cover everything, but can be quite hard going.

Make magazine also has a number of books that are probably a better starting point, basic stuff.

Archtronics

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
What do you know?

There are a load of books that vary in complexity on the theory of electronics, ones like "practical electronics for inventors" cover everything, but can be quite hard going.

Make magazine also has a number of books that are probably a better starting point, basic stuff.
I know the basics and a bit of stuff around arduino.
I find I learn best when I try to just do it rather than following tutorials, just trying to think of something thats suitably complex enough but also interesting.

Ideally mixing sensors, servos etc intially I was thinking about some kind of robot.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I know the basics and a bit of stuff around arduino.
I find I learn best when I try to just do it rather than following tutorials, just trying to think of something thats suitably complex enough but also interesting.

Ideally mixing sensors, servos etc intially I was thinking about some kind of robot.
Servos you will need PWM control, if you want to use an arduino then find a semi decent one, there are ARM based ones and you can pick up SWD debuggers for next to nothing, even segger the king of ARM debuggers sells "education" versions of the jlink for like 60 quid, I swear by the JLINK.

Sensors can be anything from analog to i2c or SPI. You'll need to get used to reading datasheets.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Quick question regarding display settings on a raspberry pi, if I have a 7 inch screen but want to reduce the display area to 5 inches (for arguments sake) is it just a case of changing the display parameters?

Can't find a 6 inch touch screen therefore will have to do with a 7 and scale things down, so would rather be sure of the above before I go buying bits online.

Cheers!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Quick question regarding display settings on a raspberry pi, if I have a 7 inch screen but want to reduce the display area to 5 inches (for arguments sake) is it just a case of changing the display parameters?

Can't find a 6 inch touch screen therefore will have to do with a 7 and scale things down, so would rather be sure of the above before I go buying bits online.

Cheers!
Computers don't measure display size in inches (DPI is a calculated parameter). They measure display size in the number of horizontal and vertical pixels.

The Pi will use whatever size display is connected to it, if it's not the displays native resolution then it's scaled, but that will produce a degraded image.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Computers don't measure display size in inches (DPI is a calculated parameter). They measure display size in the number of horizontal and vertical pixels.

The Pi will use whatever size display is connected to it, if it's not the displays native resolution then it's scaled, but that will produce a degraded image.
Appreciate the reply mate, I fully understand pixel height/width, looking back my original post wasn't well written (coming across as a noob).

I see that I may potentially be decreasing image quality by scaling the image down, but i'd have a play with the different resolutions (native, then preferred ones) once i'd chosen the display height/width. I'm only interested in running one main application (carplay) so i'd experiment with what works best for solely that.

Good to know that it is possible to reduce the screen display area.