ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Elephant Car Insurance - A Joke!!

2004 Clio 1.2 16v

K a while back you may remember i had a mint mk1 golf.....well i bought it for ma burd and she was going to sell her ax and give me the money for it

but after about a week the head went so we set about fixing it to sell as she felt it was going to be unreliable....6 weeks later and a few hundred quid she was back on the road and up for sale.

about 2 weeks after it went up for sale some little pikey bam nicked it and burnt it out - GUTTED! The car was insured fully comp for 1000 so we thought itll be cool well get the cash for the car ....WRONG!!!!

after about a month of waiting for the insurance company to get back to us we get an offer 350!! bearing in mind this was a mint example of the car pretty much a collectors car and they normally fetch 1200+

we then send a letter with some pictures of the car to contest the amount offered and are met with no this is the best offer we can give you!!!!

We are well pissed off....how can the insurance company allow you to pay a premium for a car of £1000 yet only pay the market value or what seems like the market value.....if this is the case should it not be when you get the insurance that they dont ask you how much is the car worth as they are just going to pay what they want...

we are going to contact them again tomorrow and if no joy the ombudsman will be getting contacted!

what do you all think? does it not make you wonder how much you would get if the unfortunate happend? i certainly am going to contact my insurance company as i am not paying a premium for all the mods on my car for them to give me poo money!

rant over :(

tiTTy & SV650

thats normal practice, u need to provide examples of other similar condition cars to show them the market value, autotrader, car forums etc etc.

maybe run a hoax for sale advert on a forum to see what people offer.

good luck.

BMW 120i Sport

Hmmm this concerns me about car insurance. I notice that some car dealers now sell "gap insurance" (or is it gap finance?) which is an additional premium if you ever write your car off.

The scenario is thus:

Buy a £10000 car on finance, a year later, you may have paid off £2000 so you owe £8000 (be it bank loan or finance). You write your car off, still owe £8000 on it but the insurer says "its market value is only £6500", so you have a gap of £1500 that you owe the finance company. If you have gap insurance, they will foot the bill of £1500; otherwise you need to pay it.

Insurance is a fecking scam, and to exploit it further they have this "gap finance" scam to milk even MORE money.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

i insure my car with a guaranteed value becos in theory it cannot be replaced, they cannot find me another FRS number 2418!!

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Quote: Originally posted by RS-Steve on 06 August 2005
i insure my car with a guaranteed value becos in theory it cannot be replaced, they cannot find me another FRS number 2418!!

Yeah, if youve got an old car which is in particularly good nick then its worth going with an insurer who will give you an agreed value. Otherwise theyll shaft you if you have to make a claim.

to be fair, i have no faith in insurance, as long as im legal i dont care whats happens, well as long as they sort out the other people if i have a mishap

2004 Clio 1.2 16v

i think ill ask my insurance about the guaranteed value thing sounds good....i know my car could be made again but ive spent a helluva lot on it and it would be nice to know that if a little granny had a senile moment and hit me that the amount of cash paid would cover the damage.....

we will know on monday what is happening the burd is going to call citizens advice and the obudsman so hopefully we will get it sorted out.....fingers crossed!

Liquid yellow R26 F1

Just reject their offer.. when my old 205 DTurbo was written off.. they offerd me £150.. LOL.. Dont think so.. ended up getting £1500 back and bought the car back for £150.. MOT and new wheel and it was back on the road again.. BTW.. not Elephant

Had to barter with them and provide clipings from Exchange and MArt etc.. to prove the value of the car..

On a another note with Elephant.. had to renew my premium about a month ago.. along with a few amendments i.e. + 5points along with my previous 3..:oops: (although got them in Dec 01, but still count:mad:).. premium went from £650 to £1250.. (BTW im 31 with full NCB, and live in a low risk area..) piss take or what.. so shoped around and got it down to 730

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

Quote: Originally posted by BlackClio16v on 07 August 2005

i think ill ask my insurance about the guaranteed value thing sounds good....i know my car could be made again but ive spent a helluva lot on it and it would be nice to know that if a little granny had a senile moment and hit me that the amount of cash paid would cover the damage.....

we will know on monday what is happening the burd is going to call citizens advice and the obudsman so hopefully we will get it sorted out.....fingers crossed!

if said granny hit your car, her insurance would have to pay out to get your car back to how it was regardless. The issue is if you hit someone else. All depends where the blame lies...

...insurance is just one big piss take.

go on a few mk1 golf sites, look up cars for sale then show your findings to them.
is this the red mk1 that was burn out ?
it is, its worth well over a grand !

2004 Clio 1.2 16v

yeah it was the red mk1

ive taken the pics down from ma site other wise id have posted em up the car was a minter!!!!