ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Email notification on iPhone

Hi all,

I have an iPhone 3GS and have a little problem regarding my email notification. I have my hotmail account saved to the mail app at the bottom of the home screen and when I have new email it doesn't notify me? Only when I press the mail app button so I see my new mails!

Ideally I would like it to notify me like a text message does, is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance...

I have noticed if I go in settings-mail,contacts,calendars-fetch new data (that the push button is switched to "on" and "manually" is ticked?

Could this have anything to do with it?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It uses data, and if someone calls you at the same time it's downloading an email. It will go straight to voicemail n

1998 BMW e46 323i
WTF?

Charlie, does your email provider support Push, who do you use?

Proper Push is an alternative to checking at intervals... Data can be used while on the phone, so why would a call go to voicemail?

Am I missing something here?

DMS

A thirsty 172
You have your sync schedule set to manual, so it'll only download messages when you launch the mail app or click the reload button if you already have it open.
You need to set the sync schedule to say 15 or 30 minutes. The only downsides are that it lowers your battery life a bit and uses data, so if you don't have unlimited data it might cost you a bit.
I don't get how people say if you're receiving data and get a phone call it goes to voicemail. I regularly get phone calls while checking email or browsing (and yes, while I'm actually transmitting or receiving data, not viewing content that's already downloaded). I also get a lot of email notifications come through to the phone while I'm on a call, so they (well, the 3GS at least) can handle data and phone calls at the same time.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I don't get how people say if you're receiving data and get a phone call it goes to voicemail. I regularly get phone calls while checking email or browsing (and yes, while I'm actually transmitting or receiving data, not viewing content that's already downloaded). I also get a lot of email notifications come through to the phone while I'm on a call, so they (well, the 3GS at least) can handle data and phone calls at the same time.

It's a problem with the GPRS phone network, the issue doesn't occur on 3G or edge.

Switch off 3G, and start browsing the net and get somebody to call you, they'll go straight through to voicemail.

Edit: It appears it can also happen on edge depending on the actual configuration of the network.

Last edited: