ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Emissions MOT fail Help!

Ktec'd 1.2 16v Sport
Failed on emissions and on uneven front brake inbalance.
View attachment 27355
could this be my cat as i had problems with the ecu and wirng loom back in June and was running at 13Mpg. I am running at about 26-30Mpg at the moment.
All the guy at garage said was that they don't do emissions there! (helpful):(

Last edited:
  Polo Bluemotion
Your MOT tester sounds as good as mine!! My dci failed its first MOT today because my headlight bulb wasnt in properly. I put it in front of him+he said ive got to book it in again :eek:

Megane 225
Anyone local to u can get it on the computer and see if it's throwing up any faults? Possibly cat, but i'd get it fault diagnosed 1st!

Megane 225
Your MOT tester sounds as good as mine!! My dci failed its first MOT today because my headlight bulb wasnt in properly. I put it in front of him+he said ive got to book it in again :eek:

The guy over here tried to fail me for my xenon headlight not switchin on! This was after he flicked the lights off and on several times and nearly fried the ballast! :mad:

Ktec'd 1.2 16v Sport
I have a OBDII fault reader but it just shows the upstream lambda sensor as faulty but i know that is the ecu as ive tried different o2 sensors. anyway round it!

Polo Bluemotion

The guy over here tried to fail me for my xenon headlight not switchin on! This was after he flicked the lights off and on several times and nearly fried the ballast! :mad:

this is exactly what he has put;

• 001 offside headlamp aim too low (1.6)
  • 002 nearside headlamp not in good working order. adversely affecting beam image (1.2.4a)​
I cant see why he pulled the offside when there is obviously manual adjustment in the car for that. If he would of twisted the knob to the right level, the offside would of been fine. It wouldnt of made any difference to the nearside bulb,lol.​

Megane 225
I have a OBDII fault reader but it just shows the upstream lambda sensor as faulty but i know that is the ecu as ive tried different o2 sensors. anyway round it!

Take the cat out, blowtorch the insides outa it and put it back in! That way to the mot guys u have a cat and u will pass emmissions! Is the car running ok?

Ktec'd 1.2 16v Sport
It's running ok, just a bit juicy i think (30mpg for a 1.2?) My brother gets 45+ from his 1.4 focus.

Do you recon it could be cat, with all the fuel gone through it? or just the ecu f**king up the fuel mix. what about MAP sensor how do i test that?

Megane 225
If it's throwing up a lambda fault i'd say its either the lambda sensor or the cat. I took a blow torch to the inners of my cat on my 98 1.2 8v clio after it ran outa petrol and ballsed up the cat! Never had a problem with it after and always passed emmissions. Have u a mate with the same car and you could try swapping the cat?

Ktec'd 1.2 16v Sport
Sorry been out under car having a look!

No one I know has a clio (they all have decent cars!)

how exactally do you do torch way on cat, Thought you were joking at 1st!:eek:

LY 182
looking at the print out the first thing i'd be checking is the cat, low lambda which means you are running rich and the fact you had engine problems assuming it was missfiring you will have dumped fuel all over the cat and caused it to burn up.
if it was a high lambda reading you'd be looking for exhaust blows etc.

also, i dont know why hes bypassed the speed test, unless he was trying to cheat it through by idling it

LY 182
cant see the torch thing working, you can probably get a non gen cat for under 100 quid.
or phone matt at the breakers 01254386661

Ktec'd 1.2 16v Sport
Cheers, will do!

Edit: just read about carbon purge filter putting fuel into cat, mine has always ticked is this normal?

Last edited: