ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Eml randomly coming on

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I've had this problem before and thought I'd sorted it but lately my car is going into limp mode until I turn it off and back on again. I've gone through the entire fuse box cleaning all plugs etc and checked the throttle pedal plug but still not sorted it. I've got a spare pedal so might try swapping it to see if that solves it.

Any other things I could try?

Forgot to mention I'm getting a P0120 code, new Bosch lambda and cat fitted

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
P0120 is throttle pedal circuit right?

Usually a wiring issue 99% of the time, but if everything is good like you've checked, it's worth trying the spare pedal.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Yeah it is I think from what I've read, @bloke has said in old posts that its more likely wiring than a component.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
20210917_164412.jpg
did Renault revise the throttle pedal at some point? These have different part numbers

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I'm not convinced it's the pedal, not sure what's happened now bit it won't turn over. Might be because I've had the radio on while I swapped over the aerial base though, battery on charge!

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
This might have been the problem! It wasn't damp in inside but there was greeny blue corrosion so gave it a good clean up with contact cleaner and lubed the rubber seal back up before reassembling. Fingers crossed!
20210919_113721.jpg

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
That's what I thought, I'm not sure who I read said to check it now but where as I has no moisture there was some corrosion. Time will tell but I've had no lights come up as yet.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
That's what I thought, I'm not sure who I read said to check it now but where as I has no moisture there was some corrosion. Time will tell but I've had no lights come up as yet.

I suppose after 15+ years, moisture will find its way anywhere.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
This didn't fix the throttle pedal bringing the eml on unfortunately, unplugging and plugging back in the pedal sorts it so it has to be a very simple fix if I could find where the loose connection is.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Watching this with interest.
Mine has done this twice in the past year. Clearing the code sorts it but it’s seriously annoying.
Mine seems to have been worse of late but I'm not over bothered as at least I know what to do to reset it. A bit more investigation need I think.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
How are you cleaning the contacts up?

When I did the big white connector it was quite a faf, ended up with tweezers and 1000grit paper, seem to remember using WD40 to clean while i was using the tweezers and paper then flushed the lot through with water, then isopropanol then filled each pin up with silicon grease. That cured all of my immobiliser/throttle pedal issues.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
What's it doing again? EML and limp mode?
Engine light and the middle squiggly job and in limp mode. I've noticed the knock sensor plug has a crack in the connector so it's not making a great contact but other than that I definitely have a throttle problem that wasn't solved with replacing the pedal.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
How are you cleaning the contacts up?

When I did the big white connector it was quite a faf, ended up with tweezers and 1000grit paper, seem to remember using WD40 to clean while i was using the tweezers and paper then flushed the lot through with water, then isopropanol then filled each pin up with silicon grease. That cured all of my immobiliser/throttle pedal issues.
I might revisit this job then

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Don't be afraid to really pack the connectors with something like silicon grease. My company packs subsea connectors with silicon grease and its really good at keeping water and (more importantly for some connectors air out!
I think it's got to be worth a go, nothing else has sorted it as yet

4GTS/7.5R/182
I had this issue in a 1.2 a long time ago and it was caused by the plug that connects into the pedal, had it replaced and the problem went away. Similar issue with the airbag plug under the seat which Renault themselves fixed by getting rid of the plugs and welding the wires.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I had this issue in a 1.2 a long time ago and it was caused by the plug that connects into the pedal, had it replaced and the problem went away. Similar issue with the airbag plug under the seat which Renault themselves fixed by getting rid of the plugs and welding the wires.
🤣 what a fix Renault! If all else fails, solder the connectors.

What type of plug is on the throttle pedal loom? Pretty sure it'll be fairly generic

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Cleaned the white plug in the fusebox with 1000 wet and dry and packed with silicone grease as suggested by @Touring_Rob. Wait and see now, the only bit I couldn't do was the socket side of the plug, can't see a way of safely getting to them without risk of damaging them.

Code was P0120 yet again so it's consistent😄

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Cleaned the white plug in the fusebox with 1000 wet and dry and packed with silicone grease as suggested by @Touring_Rob. Wait and see now, the only bit I couldn't do was the socket side of the plug, can't see a way of safely getting to them without risk of damaging them.

Code was P0120 yet again so it's consistent😄

You can get plug cleaning tools, like small needles coated in abrasive stuff that you can push in and out a few times.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Well! I might be tempting fate but the 1000grit on the pins in the fuse box and a generous glob of silicone grease would appear to have solved my issue.....so far

Last edited:

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
You're back! Well quite possibly but while I was there I did the grey plug, all fuses and had the ECU plug out although I left that alone as it was so clean as you'd expect.

No harm in doing them all.

Need to check mine at some point, they were all done with ACF-50 a few years ago.