ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

End of 172 ownership

Clio 172 mk2
Well, after 3+ years reliable motoring the 172 has decided to go all French on me so it's time to move on.

I think my love for the 172 faded after the tax & petrol hikes so I started driving it like a granny i.e. not using it properly then other things started to rear their ugly heads. Needed new pads & discs which was okay as I knew about that but broke down before Christmas. This cost me £370 for a new starter motor but then worse was to come when I found the coolant reservoir emptying itself....topped it up and drove home yesterday to find a nice trickle of coolant from the bottom of the rad onto my driveway. Can't really afford to keep pumping money into it so it's going to be fixed and sold, I'll be sad to see it go but at the end of the day it's just a car.

Anyway, I've got kind of fed up with the responsibilty of looking after something nice and need something more practical for bikes & fishing kit so I'll be buying an average runabout which is cheap to tax and insure.

Basically to sum up the 172

Pros:
Fast
Fun to drive (cornering, brakes & grip)
Nice looking and understated
Reasonably economical when not thrashed (40+ mpg on motorway)
Good image (to those people that actually know anything about cars!)

Cons:
Shite main dealers
Expensive parts
Hard to service etc. due to lack of room in engine bay...have to take everything off the car to get to anything!
Slightly crap (boyracer) image to people who know f-all about cars i.e joe public
Unreliable...well, in the end anyway
Flimsy but I suppose that's just good old French cars for you

Despite my change to a s**tbox car I'll not be leaving CS as it's one of the best, and definately the most entertaining forums I've come across....where else could you find such a good thread as 'Jesus Christ, check out that lamb':D

LY 200
I ended mine after four years on Saturday too but i can only say good things about its run with me!

Fast, fun, strong (no rattles or gearbox issues after 6 years on the road) and reliable for what is really a cheap car! No complaints here at all!

MCS R56
I think you hit all the main points - they are good fun, fairly chaep to run but not that great in terms of ownership. Saying that, I never had any major issues with mine.

172 Cup
Bad times dude, but at least you have managed a good three year stint.

I have only had mine about 6 months and I think I want out :(

As yo usay though, great forum!

Clio 172 mk2
In all honesty it has been a good car but I just feel that when things start going wrong it's the tip of the iceberg so to speak.

Looked at a tidy 1.4 Golf at the weekend which I think I'm going to trade it for...massively underpowered but the quality of the interior made it a nice place to be. Also no alarm, central locking or gadgets and a very roomy engine bay to work in.....IMO less to go wrong:D