ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine change

clio 1.8 16v
merry xmas 2 all.
ive owned my valver 4 about 8 months now, but ive allways wanted more power.
ive heard on this site of ppl changin the engine 2 a vag block, but ive also heard of the volvo 1.7t block.
wat kind of prices wud i be lookin at getin these engines transplanted in 2 my valve.
i really dont want 2 change 2 the 5gtt block.not my cup of tea.
any help wud be really greatfull.
is there any1 on here who does these conversions?

thanx guys
rick

A VAG block is a lot of work its the whole engine etc you swop a lot of work but a lot of potential power cheap.

2.0 bottom end is the best idea with soem cams head work the valver if you want as well.

Ppice to convert won't be cheap DIY it you can pick up whole 480 Volvos 1.7T with the engine cheap.

Dave something on hers jsut finished one have a look in the media section.

clio 1.8 16v
cheers edde, gettin hold of the engines isnt 2 hard its gettin some one 2 fit it 4 me. which ever engine i end up choosin?
the vag swap is the most appealin.

thanx 4 the info mate
is there any one on here who does any of these conversions?

S2000
VAG conversion would be great, but I would go for a 2.0 williams/megane engine tbh. To get someone to put a vag engine in for you would cost a rediculous amount of money. I would always go for the williams engine over the volvo engine as well as they don't seem to be the best of engine from what I've read and you can get near 200bhp from a williams anyway without TB's or putting a turbo on it.

cheers edde, gettin hold of the engines isnt 2 hard its gettin some one 2 fit it 4 me. which ever engine i end up choosin?
the vag swap is the most appealin.

thanx 4 the info mate
is there any one on here who does any of these conversions?

Fred there a few more been/beening done as we speak.

Rick I'll PM you the company involved. (if you want to know Fred just ask)

I'd stick with a normal engine unless your DIYing the job though personally.

clio 1.8 16v
ye cheers edde that wud be great.
this really does leave me in a pickle,
vag, or williams?
the is easier 2 modify where the williams will cost me n arm n a leg 2 push a sweet bhp!

thanx 4 the replys guys

ye cheers edde that wud be great.
this really does leave me in a pickle,
vag, or williams?
the is easier 2 modify where the williams will cost me n arm n a leg 2 push a sweet bhp!

thanx 4 the replys guys

Williams enign get it rebuilt cam s head work and thats more than enough for anyone VAG is a bit of work to do so unless you know what your doing forget it. STand alone ECU etc realy is the best idea so you've got to wire that.

Trophy #473
my friend has a hybrid and it keeps up with my standard 172, has a rediculous amount of low down power. hybrid it.

clio 1.8 16v
see that does sound very appealing, wat kind of work is envolved in hybridin my baby?
and how much would i be looking at get the work done?

clio 1.8 16v
so i take when i say hybridin, u mean changin mine 4a williams?
i thought hybridin was swapin the bottem end?
thanx for the help guys,
sorry 4 the stupid q's
and pls keep the info comin

so i take when i say hybridin, u mean changin mine 4a williams?
i thought hybridin was swapin the bottem end?
thanx for the help guys,
sorry 4 the stupid q's
and pls keep the info comin

Hybrid usually mean 2.0 bottom end peopel use sometimes the full williams engine other time just the bottom end and 1.8 head etc since the 2.0 Megan engine bottom end fits but the head doesn't work by just bolting it on.

how much or how long of a job is it 2 upgrade the bottom end?
thanx again 4 help guys

£400 or so labour ost places would chnagre I'd think then you' want to chnage the oil pump cambelt head gasget and clutch idealy.

Not to much if you want to DIY it engine out either through the bonnet or drop the subframe and lift car over engine etc. Haynes takes you though it.

If the subframe bolts can be undo (usually cannot due to rust) and you can do it lift the car over the engine IMO rarther than engine though the top.

clio 1.8 16v
wat gearbox wud u guys recomend if go 4 the hybrid?
wud my valver handle the xtra power? ive hard the valver box isnt the strongst. wud the car also need a remap?

wud my valver handle the xtra power? ive hard the valver box isnt the strongst. wud the car also need a remap?

Valver ones are fine it might break it might not Williams boxes are better can pick them up cheap.

You need some sort of remap although you can drive round without it just remember the 1.8 revs higher and can take it the 2.0 cannot so don't drive it to the same sort of limiter.

As for remaps go for a custom made one for £400 or so from Chipwizards etc or Gunner gubson on WIlliams Clio sells rewritten ECU chips very cheap but there not going to get the best power.

clio 1.8 16v
so wiv the 2ltr bottom end, wud i lose the power lag b4 4grand rpm?
sorry 4 the simple questions edde, but im a bit simple.
if so when wud the power really kick in?
cheers mate

clio 1.8 16v
p.s
ive heard that th williams has a wider runin track?
wats that all about?
i thought the valver n the willy r as wide as each ova?

so wiv the 2ltr bottom end, wud i lose the power lag b4 4grand rpm?
sorry 4 the simple questions edde, but im a bit simple.
if so when wud the power really kick in?
cheers mate
Fire away only way we ever learn isn't it.
You'll get a huge increase in power at low revs the 2.0 great you get loads of low end pull.
Power doesn't kick like a Valver does no need to rev it.
p.s
ive heard that th williams has a wider runin track?
wats that all about?
i thought the valver n the willy r as wide as each ova?
Nope Williams uspension is different at the fornt wider they use renualt 19 bits and a few other bits to make it wider I've no idea the exact figure.
Its retrofitable and can be fitted regardless of 1.8 or 2.0 engine or gearbox.

clio 1.8 16v
thanx edde, is it a bit*h 2 fit the wider track? i take it its only available straight off the williams?

its all startin 2 make sense. thanx again edde n every1 else who helped this simple child.

thanx edde, is it a bit*h 2 fit the wider track? i take it its only available straight off the williams?

Nope if your doing a conversion its only a few more bolts the drivshafst would be off anywhay if your doing a conversion so the only differences are the stearing rack ends, wishbones and the ant rolll bar.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

Valver ones are fine it might break it might not Williams boxes are better can pick them up cheap.

You need some sort of remap although you can drive round without it just remember the 1.8 revs higher and can take it the 2.0 cannot so don't drive it to the same sort of limiter.

As for remaps go for a custom made one for £400 or so from Chipwizards etc or Gunner gubson on WIlliams Clio sells rewritten ECU chips very cheap but there not going to get the best power.

i'd like to know where you can pick up a cheap willy box,there rarely forsale and normally fetch good money

i'd like to know where you can pick up a cheap willy box,there rarely forsale and normally fetch good money
Just keep looking and asking around.
how much am i lookin 4 a williams box????

Prices depends can pick them up for $£150 or less then other times £350.

On WIlliams Clio there been an aranged deal I belive new Renault box (you need to supply an old one but valver or WIllliams look the same so could always give the wrong one in) for £500 or so I think.