ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine change

im looking top change a 1993 1.4rt engine to a 1.8 16v 1993 engine do any of you know how difficult and a general cost this would be any help or information would be appreciated.

Williams 2, STi N12

Better off just buying a 16V anyway mate. The whole chassis and car will be totally different, waste of time in my opinion.

Soz

Well the block and everything will be the same size so there wouldnt be much of a difference. So in short, no.

Well, Youd need to uprate the suspension and brakes, then you also need the fuelling system, wiring loom and ECU from a Clio 16V or Renault 19 16V.. You will also need to change to a 16V Bonnet, or else the bonnet wont close..

In short, youd be better off selling the RT and getting a 16V as others have said, it a lot of work.

Ben

The gtt engine conversion is easier ASFAIK, theres a couple of guys on the RSC site that have just had it done..

You get to have a dump valve too..

Ben

i was thinking of a gtt engine, do any of you know what kind of insurance quotes i would be looking at, im 19 and have been drving for 2 years no accidents but so far 0 no claims?

Well, I know of someone whose insurance only went up £40 when converting his RT to GTT.. Give Liverpool Victoria a ring!

Ben

Torsion Tuning do the conversion and I believe its around £500, but you need lots of bits and pieces from the 16v, best bet would be to find someone who is putting a GTT lump into their 16v and selling all the parts as one, and that person would be ME!!!!! Have got a lad buying mine for £450 but if he pulls out then it will be available, also the GTT brakes will be for sale of my GTT donor car!! IMO the 16v converision would be better if you need an everday runner but the GTT conversion if you want to keep throwing money at your car!!!

How much would it cost to get a GTT into an RT?? And does anything else need to be done, ie brakes/shocks?

Just buy the GTT mate as there goign quite cheap at the moment and you will it al done for you!

I saw one for £600 and it looked mint from the outside that is!

Torsions basic price for a GTT in a clio is about £1000, but with an RT you need to upgrade breaks as well, you need to get a full donor car as well for the conversion, so looking at around 2k I reckon to get a nice Clio GTT which will stop as well!!

When is yours getting done coolspot007007?

I love this arguement because it will never be decided.

I am sure that if I drove a clio 16v I would probably want to sell my 1.4 and buy one, but I am spending so much on the car (styling/ice etc) that for me a transplant is the only way to go. (Though not yet)

I have looked into a 16v conversion and to be honest I dont think it would be that difficult, certainly not as involving as the gtt converison.

You can get everything you need for around £400-500 and you will have that Q-car factor which for me is the most appealing thing. I have a phase 3 and they didnt do a 16v/willy then, so I would catch loads of people out.

It is definitely something I will consider when I get the cash together.

If you are going to do an engine conversion on an RT, stick with a GT Turbo lump and make sure you upgrade the handling/suspension.

If you managed to put a 16v lump in there then youd have a car that had the straight-line pace of the 16v but without any of the other benefits of the 16v - at a price that you probably could have bought a half decent Valver for.

£1000 gets you a 16v lump fitted (rock-bottom minimum), plus brakes, suspension etc = at least £2000 in total. £2000 buys you a Valver; Ok, so it wont be the best, but it will handle and brake a LOT better and have all the uprated trim etc.

Go for the GT Turbo conversion mate. Lots of tuning potential. Or just buy a GT Turbo or a Valver!

My mate has just spent £10k sticking a Honda 2.2 VTEC lump in his car. It makes 220bhp with its race ECU (conservative estimate) and revs to 10,000rpm. But he stuck it in a Rover 216 Coupe!! The chassis wasnt even designed to handle Rovers own 200bhp turbo, let alone a Honda screamer!! It handles like poo, brakes like poo and to top it all off he could have bought three or four 220 turbo Coupes for the money!!!!!!!!

All due respect to engine conversions, but be sensible about it please!!

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

16v clio - Ill be getting mine done as soon as I buy the right donor car, first one was ok, but not powerful enough so thats up for sale, fingers crossed should have the new donor by the end of next week (200bhp proven). Then i just need to sort out how to get my clio to Essex as the clutch has gone :sick: You getting yours done there? When is it going in? Mine should have been finished in 2 weeks, ah well, shouldnt be too long now.

Ben H

"Or just buy a GT Turbo or a Valver!" 16v great all round car, but have you seen the interior of a GTT, christ, not good hence i only want the good bit - the engine.

coolspot007007 - Yeah I am getting mine done there hopefully soon, I want to have it ready for the french car show in may, would it not be cheaper for you to buy a dirt cheap GTT and then but the performance mods, as I hear you allready have the big turbo ;)

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Yup roller bearing turbo is ready for fitting. As for starting from scratch, well i could have upgraded the first donor cars engine but i would have had to add at least £1500s worth of stuff to get it anywhere near the same spec as the donor im currently after, gives you an idea of the money thats gone into it. Youre talking a minimum of 6k in engine parts alone, plus labour.