ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine conversion

ive heard of a r5 gtt conversion for the new clio, how much am i looking at paying? also is the renault 5gtt engine really that fast, its only a 1.4 isnt it???

Its been done theres a rather ugly Mk2 on ebay with one.

Yeah lots of tuing bits available for the 1.4 plus its Turbo aspirated etc etc

Would still be cheaper to buy a 172/cup though!

Skoda Fabia vRS

it might not be cheaper......

and yes it can be done

speak to Andy at GDI for prices on it - 07010 716440

1k for fitment of the engine then you have the cost of an engine/gearbox etc.

Best buy a R5 and take the bits from that then but the bits u need speratly.

You have to decide how much you want to spend on the engine though you could buy a GTT wreck and drop that into your car for a total of £1.5k but you will have problems best spending money getting the parts replaced but the bill will get big how big well £2k for a rebuilt with a few uprated parts for 140hp reliably IMO.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

"Would still be cheaper to buy a 172/cup though!"

How do u work that one out?

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

My 5 was pretty reliable and i was running it all thru last summer and the was HOT! - as long as u look after it, uprate the right parts dont run stupid boost ull be fine! make sure the cooling system works well though.

Well I was thinking the R5 doesnt drop straight into a Mk2 so would cost more?!

add the cost of conversion and insurance hikes to the value of selling the old car, you could be reaching 172 values!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

a r5 engine will last if its setup properley,looked after and not excessivly abused.the problem with r5s is boyracers get them and just wind up the boost exspecting everything to put up with it.i had to repair my mates because he messed around with the wastegate rod and made it boost that much it blew the sparkplug out of the head and into the bonnet.it made a sparkplug shaped dent in the bonnet.looked a bit like what jaguars have but a sparkplug shape instead of a jaguar.never seen that before until then.cant believe how the spark plug just rammed into the bonnet without shattering everywhere.

It may be cheaper with a 172/cup as if were talking a 2 yr old 1.2 dynamic there about 5k trade maybe since your looking at 2k for the conversion then £500 for brakes and £500 for similar type suspension then your knocking on for £8k there a Cup reciently advertised for £8.8k in the for sale section I think and another for £8.2k and it will be worth more at resale than any moded 1.2.

However insurance can be the problem some have no problem with transplant so you can get cheaper insurance but a 172 is stupid price. Liverpool Vicoria wont insure under 25s on 172 and best quotes for me are ~£1700 but I can mod a Clio with a tranplant for almost nothing extra on my policy I think.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

GTT engines are not a problem at all as long as they get some TLC like any engine that is driven hard...

Lionel Richie

nowt wrong with a 5GTT engine its all myth!!!

ebbe, id like to know where your getting those prices from!!!