ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine cutting out under acceleration

Mk2 1.2 Campus
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction on this.

When my car is cold it has a problem. If I try to accelerate with more than around half throttle the car goes slower, getting worse as a press the accelerater more. If I keep my foot on the accelerator the car just slows down and eventually stops. If I back off it runs fine, no issues at all.

I'm not talking about drivin the car hard, just low revs.

The car is a PH1 172. It's only on 65k and is fully up to date on all servicing. It's not using any oil or water and petrol consumption has stayed the same.

Once the car is warmed up after around ten minutes there are no issues, I can drive it as normal.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

2004 182FF
Upstream lambda sensor.

£60 from NW performance and 10 mins with a 22mm spanner.

Edit: To clarify I had the exact same problem.

Mk2 1.2 Campus
Cheers. I'll get it swapped. I have my lambda from after the cat spare from fitting a de cat. Are they the same?

Westy. MX5
They are the same but the wiring is different lengths on the up and down lamdas, so make sure the wires reach the connector. Incidently Bosch Lambdas are £38 from Euro Car Parts with the correct plug.

Stripped yozza'd cup
They are the same but the wiring is different lengths on the up and down lamdas, so make sure the wires reach the connector. Incidently Bosch Lambdas are £38 from Euro Car Parts with the correct plug.

Do you have a link or a part number for the sensor matey? I've had a search but can't find it. Cheers.

Westy. MX5
For the upper sensor the nos. on the Bosch box are LS 6046: Lambda Sensor 0258 and Euro Carparts no. is 710 74 5575. Lots of No.s all over the box so I'm sure which one they go by. The web site does not show a lot a stuff they have so it's best to visit them or phone, they will have it. Can't say that this is your problem though, it could be one of severall things that are faulty. Petrol supply problems could also give a similar fault as well as electrical. A renault scan may point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
  2004 182FF
I had the same issue with problems only when cold and the acceleration being inverse to the amount of throttle applied.

If I could get it above 4000k or waited for it to warm up a bit it was fine. After a while it did it even when the engine was warm, but only for a short while then it drove fine.

I was lucky enough to get a diagnostics done for £20 by a RTE member on here, maybe look at doing the same for piece of mind. If the spare will reach the connector (word of warning, its fiddly) then just try swapping it.

How is your idle? Mine was bumpy as s**t.