ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Dynamics Low Boost Conversion

MattRS182

ClioSport Club Member
  #3 PH2 172 Flamer
Keep looking at this. Always wanted a 182/172 Turbo, How reliable are these?

Cheaper buying one done?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member

Cheaper buying one done?
Think they're Chinese turbos but otherwise fairly reliable? Hit and miss on the turbo I guess but I'm sure ED offer great after support

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Not really heard of any complaints about ED boosted clios. Only problem is a boosted Clio isn't an NA Clio and it seems people don't like that and sell up quick. Buy one already done and keep yours if you can until you make your mind up which is best.

MattRS182

ClioSport Club Member
  #3 PH2 172 Flamer
Yeah, Its just an Itch that iv had for a very long time! And I think you could buy a 182 and Turbo it for 5k which seems good value for money! haha

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
They're good. Know a few people that have had them. The turbos aren't hit and miss, they're a good long standing supplier of theirs and it's the best conversion on the market.

MattRS182

ClioSport Club Member
  #3 PH2 172 Flamer
I think ill give this a pass haha

Im not handy with cars so sounds like it could cost a small fortune

Go back to plan A...Get a 197

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

Cheaper buying one done?

DO NOT DO IT!!
Money pits.

98% of turbo 1*2s are either

1. broken
2. being fixed
3. being built
3. Running like a bag of shite.
4. For sale.
5. Someone saying "mines mint never had any issues (but getting rid soon so have to say that!)

Ask someone who's had one for a while and sold it for an more honest opinion.

Of course you could get it done yourself, spend a few grand getting it done, a few hundred getting it fixed regularly.
Then Sell it after it's about as good as it will ever be after it being nearly finished for 6 months! that is how a lot of clio turbo ownership goes usually.

monaco 172
DO NOT DO IT!!
Money pits.

1. broken
2. being fixed
3. being built
4. For sale.
5. Someone saying "mines mint never had any issues (but getting rid soon so have to say that!)

Of course you could get it done yourself, spend a few grand getting it done, a few hundred getting it fixed regularly.
Then Sell it after it's about as good as it will ever be after it being nearly finished for 6 months! that is how a lot of clio turbo ownership goes usually.

What's unreliable about them?

Poor parts used in the conversion? Poor mapping?

I've had the same itch but figured that 3.5k would get me a newer more refined car like a civic fn2 so have decided against it.

I think a 230bhp Clio would be awesome, but the gearbox puts me off.l, they just aren't made for it.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Gearbox is any clio 172/182's downfall. The JC5 is a pretty weak gearbox, beyond that a well built, mapped and maintained turbo clio will be reliable.

Has anyone ever put a Megane 225 or R26 engine in to a Mk2 Clio ? I've read about 'Meglio's' but I think that's Mk3's ?

dan's cast offs.
That's a little bit harsh I suppose...its not the best engine to start with for boosted clio.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Ive had my 182 turbo'd. Ive not had many issues since it was done. Initially it was done by Clioturbo and then corrected and finished properly by Alex W. Since then its been fine, nothing has broken, gearbox is fine etc. You do have to show care for the gearbox and not launch the car or change gear quickly etc. Mine has 325hp too.

Ill admit I dont drive it much at all and its a headache come MOT time because of emissions.

172 Turbo
DO NOT DO IT!!
Money pits.

1. broken
2. being fixed
3. being built
4. For sale.

True for ClioTurbo cars, but is there any left?

I had my 172 ED Turbo for 2 years, it was converted in 2016, I sold it in March.

It didn't break down once, it got a blow from an exhaust gasket after a track day and that is the only time I had an issue with it.

It was built on time by ED, it was "always" for sale as in if someone offered me a chunk of money then it'd be sold but that was due to it not being used as a third car.

It is a cracking car, I'd happily have another, I'd always buy one pre-converted though, I sold mine for £5k with an LSD and coilovers fitted.

MattRS182

ClioSport Club Member
  #3 PH2 172 Flamer
What happened to the guy who had clio-turbo.co.uk, Andy was it? Is his company still going?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I don't get these people that say "Don't boost a 1*2 because it'll have loads of issues and it'll be s**t" even though they've never owned one, never driven one and probably never been passenger in one. Standard Clio's have s**t loads of issues, lightly modified ones have issues so it's no wonder a highly modified one will have issues. That's just part and parcel of a modified car. I've been in a few boosted ones and the excitement factor plays a big part because for the price you can't really go wrong. A pal of mine had a high boost one and it sat alongside an RS5 that another lad he knew owned.

On an ED kit and mapped by Chris @ EFI, the only downside about Clio's is that the gearboxes are made from spit & newspaper and nobody makes a decent enough clutch, this was on a helix 4 puk and it started making it slip like f**k at 275/280 so it was dialed back. Pic of the car below, went on track countless times, got driven daily for years and got it's head royally f**king kicked in every single day. He had the engine in a 1.2 shell at one point but he started to crease the roof where the sunroof and B pillar met lol