ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine issues on project: Chav running very flat

Rb 182
I bought chav a few weeks ago now with the intent of turning it into a track day/b road car.

Project thread here: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?587048-Project-Chav

I bought it knowing that the light was on. Checked it with the code reader, it had 3 codes, O2 sensor, knock sensor and idle control valve.

The control valve was not plugged in after a plug change so that was a easy fix, the O2 sensor had bad wiring so a re-wire seems to have fixed this (needs more running time to confrim) and the knock code has never came back.

the thing is it's very flat up the rev range to 3.5-4k then it takes off???

No other codes have come back on, and its probably a stab in the dark but any ideas??

Could being timed wrongly do this?

A blocked cat?

Would the knock sensor fault do this??

So many questions i know, but hopefully some one wiser than me will have the answer.

Thanks in advance guys

Dave/John

53 Clio's & counting
Id look at cam timing mate, usual culprit, and in my experience they are flat until higher revs - I think my projects timing is slightly out.

Plus if it was chav owned, the chances of it being done properly is low.

Get it on a rolling road, the shape of the graph normally give a clue to the timig

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I agree, timing probably out. Buy a pair of cam seals and have a look

Rb 182
Cheers for the advice guys. Will this have caused any damage and will continuing to use it make it worse?

Golf GTD Mk7
as longs as the valves don't drop you'll be ok, but it's advisable to get it sorted asap. It's more of a problem with aftermarket cams where lift etc is greater, so there is a risk of valves hitting pistons.

53 Clio's & counting
Cheers for the advice guys. Will this have caused any damage and will continuing to use it make it worse?

They can do, but normally it's only slightly out, which gives poor performance (Thats why half pf 172's only make 150something bhp) so im sure if you can't here any worrying knocking/tapping noises then she will be fine fella :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yep, afraid so and for £12 in parts its not worth ignoring something that's easily confirmed/denied.

Mick