ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine knocking noise - VIDEO enclosed

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
any ideas?

[youtube]87NGbSJJ_Do[/youtube]

just had the cambelt, cams, aux belt, valves, flywheel, clutch and gearbox replaced.

varied opinions, but some say its the bottom end, pistons or crankshaft.

Others think the flywheel is causing it.

Others say the lifters and rockers.

dont have a clue and any useful input would be great.

Engine was overrevved and has been in for work, but still not right.

That does sound like a knackered dephaser (from other videos I've heard) but when they rev it the engine noise drowns out that horrible tapping/rattling noise, where as yours can still be heard.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Chic matey, that sounds bad! Sounds exactly like my ph1 and that was the crank!

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
Chic matey, that sounds bad! Sounds exactly like my ph1 and that was the crank!

im worried that is the case in which its game over and new engine.

:dapprove:

spent a f**king fortune as well on the cambelt, auxbelt and the like. Total utter waste of money.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
You know where a decent priced engine is thats local, was it making that noise before it went in for the work?

Bumder With A Buffer
mine taps slightly but then dissappears been like it ever since I have had it. Lifters I think that is but it goes once you touch the throttle..then returns 5-10 mins later. Not as bad as that though!

Hero Spec Nimbus 200
id be tempted to say that its a hydraulic lifter thats not seated properly, i know people that have knocked them when putting the rocker cover back on, and on start up sounds similar to that.

Why did you have new valves fitted out of interest?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
first thing i would be doing is re checking the timing, if the dephaser is caput then it will be out a few teeth.

does it struggle to idle??

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
starts up fine, no problems.
the valves were replaced as the inlet valves were damaged with over revving.

if the timing is suspect would it be causing it to sound that bad?

Megane dci 130
f**k me, id say that was bottom end pal, Id whip the sump off and drop off the big ends for inspection next.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Obv tricky from a vid but I'd agree get that bottom end out and checked. At the minimum it may need new shells, catch it early enough and you wont need a new crank iirc.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
As said before Chic, that sounds exactly like my 172 and that was defo the crank that was fucked! Was it making that noise as soon as you picked it up or did you give it some beans then the noise started?

Mickb

ClioSport Club Member
  van low and 1.6 16v
offft

bottom end away. just like gaz's sounded. still got the engine doesnt sound like a bad offer now.

but as said take it back to garage and kick up

starts up fine, no problems.
the valves were replaced as the inlet valves were damaged with over revving.

if the timing is suspect would it be causing it to sound that bad?

What do you mean they were damaged by over revving ?

Does/Did it have some sort of raised rev limit from a remap ?

I hope you get to bottom of whats wrong soon mate and that you get somewhere with the garage.

tiTTy & SV650
bummer, did you ask Renault to do that work specifically? Or did they specify that those items would fix it?