ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine light on

Clio Sport 182
engine light suddenly came on, car is running fine. dunno what would cause this? anyy ideas? no other lights on on the dash. thanks

koi

Audi S1
hahaa must be plague sweeping across the nation affecting all CS, mine came on last night as well

Searched on here and it seems to be a dodgy lamda sensor

many things can cause it..
shite tescos premium petrol
95 ron in a 98 mapped car
'holy' exhaust pipe
broken lambas

the list goes on...

1998 BMW e46 323i
mine came on after half an hour of motorway miles this am. The light down by the right side of my speedo. Not in the centre of dash. I'm using asda's finest... Car's running fine.

koi

Audi S1
Been running normal Shell for the past 6 months with no issues until now so can't see that being the problem

1998 BMW e46 323i
i'll be gettin my diagnosis tool onto it later. Silly french car. I'd imagine fuel is the prob if everyone's having synchronised problems???

otherwise: cat, coils, leads, spark plugs, but to be honest if the car is running fine just leave it.

The light will reset itself after 120 miles IIRC if it stays on then have a look into it.

If your getting crap MPG too all of sudden then that could point to a lamba sensor.

Mine comes on with the tescos premium, apparently its all additives and a is a piss poor quality fuel.

Clio RN & Honda blade
Mine came on after about 40 miles on the A12, took it in and the fault code was the cat, but the garage said change the pre-cat lambda sensor 1st!

Does it idle ok?

koi

Audi S1
Typical mine has gone out now, will leave it for time being and get it checked out if it comes up again

182 Cup
Mine came on last night too!? Optimax all the way too. Maybe the car just wanted more pretty lights on the dash for the festive season.

1998 BMW e46 323i
i think it has something to do with fuel surely... Can't think why else we'd all be in synch?! It's been colder and wetter earlier in the year.maybe our cars don't like the salt all over the roads. Maybe they're on a health trip. My exhaust system is brand new. Although the lambda isn't. Gonna reset mine later if i can be bothered.

172 cup
Mine has come on as well! Its been running lumpier and rougher thasn usual during the warming up period, but i have recently changed fuels. I think im going to run the tank down to near empty and refill with a decent quality super unleaded and hope it solves the problem. The cold weather probably has something to do with it...

Best to put it on a diagnostic machine..save time and money at the end of the day.
mine was on because the o2 sensor before the cat was naff.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Catalyst Efficiency below threshold 420. a code I last had about a year ago I think. Erased it, and so far it's not come back. Last had it before the mot, and it passed the emissions. So I'm not replacing anything.

Mine did this, came on and off for a bit before eventually staying on permanently. The pre-cat lambda sensor was buggered, changing that sorted it.

182 Cup ITB
Mine came on briefly a week ago, flashing. It's done that twice now. I think it's because of damp somewhere - both times it was about 15 minutes after setting off, after it had been standing outside for a few days. Can't be much (on my old Pug the emissions light was on for 3 years wtihout problems! :) )

Clio Sport 182
finally managed to get hold of a scanner to check fault. o2 sensor before cat (lambda sensor).

bought 1 this morning and fitted. hopefully no more probs this year!