ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine lumpy at idle??

2001 Clio 172 Sport
Hi,

I am new to the Clio scene. Previously had a Saxo VTR. Now I have got a Clio 172 (2001). Just got a question for you technical lot! The engine seems a bit lumpy on idle, not alarmingly so, the rev counter stays steady and isnt hunting. When driving it seems fine, smooth power delivery and no hesitation. Its just that when your sitting in the car you can feel it chugging a bit. The car is totally standard apart from a drilled air box (previous owner did that)

I havent has one of these before and being a larger sportier engine was just wondering if maybe its characteristic.

Thanks in advance

Claire

Clio 172
Yeh mines a little lumpy, epsecially on start up in the morning. Once it's been running for a few mins and its up to temperature then mines fine.

Cup 172
Hi,

I am new to the Clio scene. Previously had a Saxo VTR. Now I have got a Clio 172 (2001). Just got a question for you technical lot! The engine seems a bit lumpy on idle, not alarmingly so, the rev counter stays steady and isnt hunting. When driving it seems fine, smooth power delivery and no hesitation. Its just that when your sitting in the car you can feel it chugging a bit. The car is totally standard apart from a drilled air box (previous owner did that)

I havent has one of these before and being a larger sportier engine was just wondering if maybe its characteristic.

Thanks in advance

Claire

Hi. Even when warm my idle is lumpy. Like yours the rev counter doesnt move, but you can see the gear leaver vibrating gently... Dont worry about it, most of them do it. It gets better if you run on Super Unleaded (which I do), but its just the way they are. They are tuned for top end power rather than smooth idling...

Phil.

M2 Competition
For the first few minutes mine runs very lumpy, but more to do with engine mods and decat i think. Seems fine after that, but is definately more burbley than other cars ive been in.

172 Ph2
Yeh, posted a thread up when I first got mine, many have the same symptoms. It sounds wrong but the car drives fine! I've had a new filter, plugs, leads, coil pack and it's the same. It's just a bit uneven, lumpy and 'spitty'. I don't even worry about it now! I was used to saxo's, 106's and newer jap cars, even my Elise idled better! It's just how the clio 172 seems to be. Many a garage has told me the same.

2001 Clio 172 Sport
Thanks for the replies, have put my mind at ease! It is exactly how you describe your cars. When warmed up its alot better! Thanks!

Claire

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP
mines lumpy too, yesterday i didnt bother wait and the car was chugging at 15 mph and i tried to put my footdown on the gas and the car wouldnt go any faster lol dont reccomend driving it without warming the engine up!