ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine management... HELP PLEASE!

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
Hi Guys, on the way back from the meet today, my engine management light came on car felt a bit limp and not as responsive as it usually does.
It’s still on now after I got home... I left it off for a few hours, then when I started it back up the light is still on. The only thing I can think of that may have caused it, is the fact that my drive way is very steep and the CAT on the front of the exhaust bashes of the concrete every time I drive in. I had it on the ramp the other day as I’m taking it for a de-cat pipe on Tuesday, you can see the CAT is all scraped and slightly bashed. Do you think it is this that has caused the Engine management light to come on? Baring in mind my drive to the meet the light was not on. I’m not sure as to call Renault tomorrow or wait until after the guys at AAS has fitted the de-cat and looked at the exhaust to make sure all is well….
The last thing I want is Renault to turn around say the light is on because of the DE-CAT, and them not actually picking up on something more seriously wrong with the car.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks! :D

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
Sorry, a guy at the meet today told me it was E.M light, it's on the bottom right of the dash. shall I take a picture?

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
So the chap in the blue clio told me mate. the 1.6 16V clio that is.
I'm not sure on what it is though :(

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
Bottom right is the toxic emissions light.

Mine did come one with cat in place when I first got the car, but it went off a few days later (think it needs 3 cold starts with no fail)

Removing the cat is goig to make the the light come on more often though.

There is also the chance the 2nd lambda has been damaged or is faulty.

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
As long as you can live with the light being on.

If you expereince very odd engine behaviour (low rev limits/rough running) it is generally the primary lambda as it has more of an input on fuelling than the second one.

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
Just took a pic of it, so we know which one I'm talking about...
I'm a bit silly with these things :p

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 68
  MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
Perhaps I should get it to Renault first before I put a decat pipe on, that way if it needs to be replaced then I’ll have a fresh one for when /if I decide to put it back on….?
What do you think they will say if they see the scratches and bangs on the cat?
:) Cheers, Thomas

ex Clio 172 owner :(
Gutted for ye mate. Hate things like this that are a mystery. I'd rather something break properly.

Good luck getting it sorted. Car looked mint today too.

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
Yeah I know what you mean Chris, oh well lots of things to do to it over the next few weeks. got the paint job coming up exhaust surround to clip on then get the decat or after I get this cat fixed :p
Your 172 looked spot on too!

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
I don't have the decat pipe yet. that's coming on Tuesday.
However, my CAT has taking a bashing on my driveway, so my plan was to see if I can that sorted before getting a decat. Then if / when I decide to put the cat back on I will have a new fully working one again... If you understand what I mean?

172 cup'd extreme
yeah sorry i thought you said in your post you HAD a decat, anyways the lambda is normally to blame when the light comes on , there are however faults with the coolant temp sensor on 182 that could cause it to come on better off having it plugged in to see what it is

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
Cool, thanks mate. I'm trying to get no the phone to Ren this morning they seem rather busy just now :(
I deff want to sort this before I go decat though. Cheers, Thomas

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Thomss i have had a de cat on mine now for about 4 months, and light came on, i unplgged the secong lambda then went for a drive, plugged it in again and the light has never come on agaion, might work????

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
Thanks Dave, I took it Ren this morning and they are replacing something.
I'm picking it up later on today, I thought it would be best to get what ever is at fault sorted before going for a DECAT. Then come MOT Time at least I know it should all be fine etc... Once I get the decat put on I think they are going to put the sensor in a tube so it "gets a sniff of the gas" make sense?

Thanks!

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
**UPDATE** Ren have replaced the "Oxygen Sensor" I would think this is the Lamba or something?? oh well, problem now sorted. Can re-book my decat for next next! :D Thanks for all the replies guys! :D