ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Misfire

Hi all,

My daughter has the Clio Dynamique 1.6v, 16V, 51 Plate.
The problem started when the engine management lights came on, two,the squiggly and engine lights, these are the in the center dash. A friend with a Snapon code thingy(sorry), said the throttle position sensor was at fault. A mechanic ive used for years said this not likely but may be the throttle housing.

Suggestions on forum were many causes, but what came back all the time was the throttle housing. A member suggested to remove and clean with WD40. This was done tonight. The idle does seem a bit better, but dressing throttle quickly decreases engine RPM to nearly killing engine.
Taking for test drive, the engine is lumpy as if coil pack or spark plug has gone down. I checked coiled packs by removing low volt cable, this was all good I assume the coil packs are ok. Also the engine management light, but this time the small right most side came on, as you see above, the lights in the middle came on last time.

Ive an ELM ODBII adapter and using Scanmaster the fault now is Engine Misfire On Cylinder, it could not say what cylinder though.
At a cost of nearly £200 could it be the Throttle Housing?, could it be the spark plugs,would the spark plugs make the engine managment lights come on? or anything else.

To recap at present, the idle is at 950, depressing throtttle quickly nearly kills engine, driving is like lumpy/misfire as if plug pack gone down.
Ive also put some petrol treatment in.
We need some help please as we are going round in circles.

U can't test the coil by disconnecting the wire try unbolting them and lifting it off the plug , it can make them go off different cylinders doing it via the wire , I would say the problem is a coil ,it is 99% of the time

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
it wont be the throttle body if its got a misfire code logged. More than likely an injector, coil pack, spark plug or HT cable.

@mi16chris & @The fatty
Thanks for the replies, ill go ahead and get coil packs, to see if this eliminates problem, in the meantime, ill check spark plugs, my hopes are now up as Mr Fatty suggested it might not be throttle housing.

Thanks again

Rich

@mi16chris & @The fatty
Thanks for the replies, ill go ahead and get coil packs, to see if this eliminates problem, in the meantime, ill check spark plugs, my hopes are now up as Mr Fatty suggested it might not be throttle housing.

Thanks again

Rich

It will be one of the coils mate

It will be one of the coils mate

Hi mi16chris

It was the coil packs, I took the four packs from my Scenic and it fired up cleanly, put the Clio's packs in the Scenic and wouldn't even start.
Ill change the whole four.
I have also changed the spark plugs.

Looking back now, maybe the Throttle sensor fault was an old code.
All good now, daughter will be happy.

Thanks for the help

Rich