ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine missing when on cam

Clio cup 172
I have a weird problem. Just serviced inc ngk plugs. once I come on cam at 5k, the cars feels like it has a popping sound/misfire. If I rev slowly beyond 5k it doesn't happen. I have no engine management lights. Below 5k the car is 100%. It does have a slightly lumpy idle and I was told it has a 98 Ron map so I put super unleaded into it obviously.

Any ideas? Dodgy leads maybe? Car has done 85k miles. It has an extensive service history but no mention of new ht leads at any stage.

renault clio 1.4 16v
could be a number of things, leads, coils, even injectors, map sensor... if the leads are old then giving them a change could help

Clio cup 172
so I disconnected the map sensor tonight and the car ran exactly the same. Still had some hesitation up the Rev range like before but didn't feel any slower than when it was connected. Also noticed idle was slightly raised to 1000rpm with it disconnected which got rid of my lumpy idle. Could this be the culprit?

I have also noticed (with map
Sensor connected) when starting my car from cold, I don't get a raised idle at all. It falls straight away to around 6-700 rpm which I find strange for a petrol car and then runs slightly lumpy.

My car has a Ron 98 map which I though gets rid of lumpy idle

renault clio 1.4 16v
Map sensors dont normaly give problems on clios although they can fail, if unplugged and when cold the computer will use the lambdas for fueling, if you want to rule out the map, find a friend with a known good one and swap it out... or give yours a clean...

The fact that the car was still hesitating with the map dissconected points to something else though, possibly coils or injectors, fuel pump