ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine noise

Clio 182 arctic
hi guys, im basically getting a strange engine tapping noise. it taps on idle and when the revs are increased the tapping increases along with the revs. it sounds like a sewing machine kind of.
the strange thing is that this only starts when the engine has warmed up to just before normal operating temperature and also at normal temp.

i know the usual answer will be dephaser deffo BUT i know what a faulty dephaser sounds like as i had my last one changed around 4k ago at birchdown. the noise i have now sounds nothing like the last faulty dephaser pulley.
if you go to the website below and scroll down to sewing machine 1 my car basically sounds exactly the same as that except the slight whining on that soundclip. but the tapping noise is exactly the same is just not quite as loud.

http://www.soundjay.com/mechanical-sounds-3.html
cheers for any help guys, Terry

Cup and R6
Does it only happen in 1st gear? If so mine does that same and like you said i thought it was the dephaser so when i was last at Birchdown i asked steve to have a listen and he said all is fine

I wouldn't worry about it if its like mine and just in first gear and on Idle

Clio 182 arctic
its only when on idle and i slowly rev it. like i said, dephaser is brand new from birchdown and it doesnt sound like a faulty dephaser. i would imagine tappets but im not 100% sure. the new thing i have realised is that it does this 90% of the time i am stationary. every now and then it sounds like the car used to sound.(normal)

Clio 182 arctic
i get the exact same thing.. did you ever solve it?
nope
it deffo doesnt sound like dephaser tho. the thing is now its only intermittant, sometimes when i stop at lights the engine sounds normal then the next set of light i stop at it makes this noise. strange. i changed to new oil and also some of that wynns tappet stuff but it made no difference, i just try to ignore it now tho.

Nothing at the mo :(
i get the exact same noise mate... checked carbon canister?? i havent checked mine yet..

mine isnt dephaser cause i have had the noise for a year and its a cambelt change at rentech and they have said nothing... its not gotten worse or better.. just the same everytime>..

mines either carbon canister or tappets.. it doesnt effect my performance so i just live with it

Clio 182 arctic
i get the exact same noise mate... checked carbon canister?? i havent checked mine yet..

mine isnt dephaser cause i have had the noise for a year and its a cambelt change at rentech and they have said nothing... its not gotten worse or better.. just the same everytime>..

mines either carbon canister or tappets.. it doesnt effect my performance so i just live with it
hmm, iv not checked my carbon canister but mine does sound like its from the top of the engine, dephaser area, is yours exactly the same as that sound clip i linked to just not as loud, the sound increases with revs.

Nothing at the mo :(
yeah, but on mine if ur put ya head near the headlight ya can hear it

You cant really hear mine outside the car, just when ya in the drivers seat