ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine noise

I just bought a clio 172 phase 1, I had test driven it last saturday and it was fine. When idling you could hear a noise but being a bit too keen on purchase I chose to ignore said noise.

After collection yesterday I arrived back at work and sitting there idling in the car park this noise made me feel sick - it was louder than before.

Its a reciprocating noise from the auxillary belt location, hard to describe but sounds a bit "squishy". Took the car to a Renault dealer last night, verdict is it could be the hydraulic tensioner, idler or worst case timing belt. Before spending out on my new car has anyone experienced such problems? I dont think Ive got any come back to the dealer who sold me the car - feel a bit mugged.

Quote: Originally posted by webbo on 10 December 2004

After collection yesterday I arrived back at work and sitting there idling in the car park this noise made me feel sick - it was louder than before.
Its a reciprocating noise from the auxillary belt location, hard to describe but sounds a bit "squishy". Took the car to a Renault dealer last night, verdict is it could be the hydraulic tensioner, idler or worst case timing belt. Before spending out on my new car has anyone experienced such problems? I dont think Ive got any come back to the dealer who sold me the car - feel a bit mugged.
Its the aux belt tensioner probably, its a comon problem this time of year might be the reason the last owner sold it as they didnt know what it was.

Get it to the place which sold it to you and explain your not happy but belive its this aux belt tensioner its a few hours work (Ill send you the guide if you want) whiclst there at it they can replaee the blet and if your cars near 72k see if you can pay them to change the main timming belt as well since they will have the car in bits to change the aux belt anyway it should be cheaper.