ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Rattle

E46 320CD
Bit of a odd one, even stumped fred!

Clio 172 cup, when the engine is completely warmed up i have a rattle from it. It's not there when cold and takes about 20 minutes of driving before you can here it.

Sounds like its coming from the exhaust manifold area, but don't think it's there. When under the car the noise is louder - have checked the heatshield.

Any ideas what it can be? Sounds like a stone is trapped and can move about a fraction once it's heated up - hope that makes sense :)

Thanks for reading.

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
I would check the exhaust itself the cat and the heatshield on the bulkhead too, if it always goes away when warm it would indicate it's a component rather then a shield etc.

E46 320CD
I would check the exhaust itself the cat and the heatshield on the bulkhead too, if it always goes away when warm it would indicate it's a component rather then a shield etc.

No the noise is only there once the engine has been running for about 20 minutes and fully warmed up. When cold there is no noise.

E46 320CD
th_Video003.jpg

as i say only on tickover, slight hint of the throttle and the noise completely goes!

any ideas please?

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Have you changed the oil (type viscosity) recently? I got sold the wrong oil by a Renault Dealer when I did the cambelt and it was thinner than recomended and I was told to stop and flush immediately.

(Have a case registered with Renault in case it goes bang)

E46 320CD
Have you changed the oil (type viscosity) recently? I got sold the wrong oil by a Renault Dealer when I did the cambelt and it was thinner than recomended and I was told to stop and flush immediately.

(Have a case registered with Renault in case it goes bang)

Thanks for the reply, as it happens it was changed about 3k miles ago.

Fred did the oil change, so have no doubts the correct stuff was used.

Same velocity oil always used to, 5/40 iirc.

it's annoying! Everything points towards the heat shield. Really odd that it goes at the slightest bit of throttle.

Monaco 172
I have a similar problem to this, it is only there on idle and it seems like a ticking. I can feel it through the clutch/brake pedal. Im finding it very annoying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.