ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine revs max on its own

Audi TT 225
Right this morning got up to go to work (was meant to be starting at 5am) and turned on the engine and my mum had used my car and left it in gear (I've never got into this habit) so it shot forwards on the handbrake.

Obviously it stalled so I then went to start it back up, the engine started screaming and shot to max revs. At 4:30am lets just say the neighbours weren't too happy about me restarting it a couple of times to try and figure out the problem. Some old bint came out and started having a go telling me to go to bed or some bull s**t (must've thought I was getting back from night out or something).

So does anyone know what could be the problem? I've no idea if it's got anything to do with me shooting forwards on the handbrake just before.

I've checked the pedal isn't stuck down and even held it up while I started it and it still shoots to max revs and holds there screaming. I'm not very mechanical minded so should I take it into a garage to get it looked at or could it be something quite simple?

Cheers

EDIT: Forgot to mention it's a 1.2 and 100% standard other than the ICE.

Audi TT 225
Guessing no-one has heard of this problem before? Got work on monday and can't really take another day off so need to try and get it fixed this weekend!

M2 Competition
Sounds like one of a few things...

Either your throttle body has gunked up, or your throttle position sensor (tps) has gone.

Trip to renault, unless you can clean the throttle body on your own (proper fiddly two man job)

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
start with slapping yourself for letting your mum drive it and then slap her for leavingit in gear,

seriously now though, has anything got caughton the cable under the bonnet, has to be something to do with the pedal/cable being open or it simply would o it as the petrol wouldnt be able to get into the engine, is the little lap bit stuck open on full, im guessing you start your carwith you foot flatdown to give the engine a bit of gas each time you start? may have become stuck when jolted forward???

Polo + Micra
i stalled mine once before stuck it in 4th instead of 2nd and blew the brake vacuum hose off the inlet manifold that caused it to just rev til the limiter as soon as i started it

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Always leave it in gear. Always start it with the clutch in. Both very good habits to have.

It must be something that's stuck open - it can't really be anything else, I would have thought? Unfortunately, I bet most of the people who would know are on their way to FCS now....

Hope you get it sorted!

D.