ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Seize - Big end bearing failure

Clio Sport 172 Cup
Hi All,

First post on the forum and hoping to draw on the vast knowledge on here!

I wanted to get people's thoughts on the possible cause of failure of the bearing shells in my Clio Sport 172.

The engine seized on a track day (first outing after getting the car!!), stripped the engine down today and everything looked ok until I saw the condition of the big end bearings. Also lots of metal flakes in the sump!

Looks like the engine has been apart in the past so wondering if it could be poor fitting, oil starvation, or just cheap bearings??

20180909_164030.jpg

Clio Sport 172 Cup
Not really inspected the crank in detail...but guessing it's had it!

For starters the block has been painted orange and there's evidence of other bits that have been previously undone etc! Not sure if any internal work has been done, but definitely head off, Cam change etc

Clio Sport 172 Cup
NorthloopCup - I wondered if that might be the cause as heard they are prone to it! Any idea how the chance of this happening again can be reduced?....or is it just a case of fingers crossed!!

dan's cast offs.
strip and check oil pump, pressure relief valve sticking is common on them. i'm guessing that that's no2 big end bearing? you'll probably find no3 main hasn't moved but may well be mullered anyway.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
NorthloopCup - I wondered if that might be the cause as heard they are prone to it! Any idea how the chance of this happening again can be reduced?....or is it just a case of fingers crossed!!
Lots of ways to reduce it, but it all costs money mate. The ph2 172 crank is also a pos, so that doesn’t help the job along.