ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Sounds Rough

133/225/CLS AMG
Now it may be me just being over sensitive but my other half picked me up in my 172 and the engine sounded like it was running rough. The car had only been running about 15 minutes so hadn't been sat in traffic or on a long run heating up.

Now I checked the fluids, oil, water etc all fine. The engine pulls absolutely fine through the gears right up through the rev range and you can't hear the engine especially when you're in the car other than the induction kit and exhaust.

Thing is under the bonnet the engine just sounds rough, dare I say like a diesel. Now it's got 61k on the clock, it's a 2003 and has a full service history, was actually serviced back in September so still a while of another and the oil level hasn't changed.

I know it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' type question but am I expecting too much for the engine to sound smooth and refined? I don't remember my first one sounding like this although I admit it was brand new at the time and I sold it with only 15k on the clock.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
My 182 sounded like a diesel and it turned out to be my depasher pulley, which in itself won't cause damage, it just sounds dog rough.....it does mean however that you'll need a cambelt change to sort it :( I had mine sound it sounds smoooooth :)

133/225/CLS AMG
Thank you mate I may pop along to my local mechanic and get him to tale a look.

Would be a b!tch if it needs a cam belt as it was changed not that long ago.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
If the belt was changed not long back and the dephaser not done, this could have sent it on its way

GSXR + KDX220
Dephaser makes it sound like a diesel for sure, mine sounds the same when its warmed up! cold start and its quiet (as quiet as Renaults are lol)

So much so that one of the marshalls at the last trackday asked if it was a diesel :( lol

133/225/CLS AMG
Thanks for the info guys, sounds more and more like its exactly this.

I was just looking at K-tec's website as I fancied a power upgrade. See they do an uprated camshaft upgrade which includes the cam belt and can have other belts done. Not sure if that includes the dephaser but guess if I opt for that it wouldn't be a huge charge for that too.

Thanks for the info guys, sounds more and more like its exactly this.

I was just looking at K-tec's website as I fancied a power upgrade. See they do an uprated camshaft upgrade which includes the cam belt and can have other belts done. Not sure if that includes the dephaser but guess if I opt for that it wouldn't be a huge charge for that too.

Most companies do the dephaser just for the price of the part if doing a belt change at the same time.

133/225/CLS AMG
Yeah K-tec have said they'd do it for what seems to be about the cost of the part.

Looks like I'll be booking the car in for camshaft updgrade, will have the cambelt, dephaser done as well so should be running nicely and a bit more powerful by the end of that.