ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Top Mount

muz

big fat japanese bus

I have noticed a lot of heavy vibration when my clio is under heavy acceleration in 1st gear

I spoke to a mate last night who says that this is a common fault (But cant find any information on here about it tried searching back to a year)

Apparently I need to get a new top engine mount

Anyone got any further information? What do I need to do just phone a renault garage?

What do I say? (Cheers for the infor btw Stephen)

Mine does this sometimes in 1st gear only at about 5k rpm when you absolutley floor it. It sounds really loud like a metallic banging noise? If thats what youve got I think its just the traction control and is nothing to worry about, though I know it can be off putting :)

yeh if its the heavy banging under hard acceleration in first then theres no fix for it really, they all do it

ps its not traction control, as the light never comes on, and my cup did the same and that didnt have traction control

Stevie,

my first Cup did this, took it back to Renault and it got sorted. Something with the engine mount at the top side of the gear box. It is a comon problem and I am sure that the problem is listed on Renaults AKTIS reporting system.

MAc

muz

big fat japanese bus

Cool Mac I have it booked in for Tuesday anyways

Sere you on Friday maybe?

MERCEDES CLS AMG

the 172 has 3 engine mounts - the most common for going is the engine stabiliser bar which joins the engine to the chassis. The part number is 8200103802 £28.00. The drivers side one is £42.90 6000073669 and the pass side one is £20.31 8200089697. Hope this helps :)

Quote: Originally posted by muzz on 25 January 2005

Cool Mac I have it booked in for Tuesday anyways

Sere you on Friday maybe?
Hi mate,

am working an early shift on Friday, off sat and in on Sunday. Ill see you then if you come in. If not, let me know how you get one with your 89kg heavier than mine, 172! ;)

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R

Mine does it in first, second and third (vibration/grinding/banging noise)....

Apparently its a combination of loose engine mounts and vibration of the downpipes on the steering rack... Im getting mine up in the air on Sat...

the two side mounts are easy to check for wear, loosening. Theres one under the battery, which when you remove the battery is obvious.

the one under the car is harder to get to, but achievable with a jack... the nylon bushing (or whatever it is) wears quickly on this one.

Just tighten them all up and see if it helps. I had all mine replaced by Reno, TWICE!! so i know the ins and outs of them now lol

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R

Its a joke tho, dont you all think??.. the car shouldnt knock and we shouldnt have the hassle of fixing it.... Reno should get the problem sorted and offer free repairs to all them that do...

mine s been banging from day one had it to renault they replaced all the mounts still did it then the cam belt snapped so new engine and guess what it still did it.

it has gone in today to be looked at again hopefully they will sort it as it is starting to piss me off

muz

big fat japanese bus

Well its booked into Renault for Tuesday I will let you all know what the outcome is, I want it to be smooth for the next crail !

P.S. Stephen whats 89KG? I like being warm and comfy and being able to stop in the wet !!

Honda S2000

My Cup did exactly the same thing so I took it to Renault back in November and they said it was a common problem and they would fix it under the warranty. Got it back the same day and the problem was fixed. Day after they ring back claiming the problem wasnt covered by warranty and I would have to pay... Renault Wigan will no longer deal with me or my car as I refused to pay!

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R

Thats what Leeds and York Reno said to me, it wasnt covered!..

So I would have to pay for them to check it out and to repair it...... just for the same to happen again...

Black 182 + Recaros

Kelly-

What reason did they give. Why is this not covered under warranty ? Surely its not wear and tear.

Honda S2000

The lad told me when I first went in that the problem with my car was a common problem with Cups and it was covered under warranty.

It wasnt a recall but its a problem they knew about. As it was a common fault from new they said they wouldnt pay as my car was 2 years old and it should have been done at the start. Its a load of rubbish really because they just try and get out of fixing everything so whats the point of the warranty!!

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R

Exactly the same s**t as they told me..... said same about my fogged up lights too....

Whats the best way of de-misting them??...

Ford Fiesta

Quote: Originally posted by Chrisbaker1000 on 26 January 2005

Exactly the same s**t as they told me..... said same about my fogged up lights too....

Whats the best way of de-misting them??...

are you referring to the main light units with xenons?

if so its normal for xenons to mist they arnt sealed units.

Quote: Originally posted by muzz on 26 January 2005

P.S. Stephen whats 89KG? I like being warm and comfy and being able to stop in the wet !!
well, well see what 89kg equates to at at Crail on the 6th mate!

Ford Fiesta

Quote: Originally posted by Chrisbaker1000 on 26 January 2005

Yeah thats them.... But once water is in, how do you get it out??... wont it start to corrode??
when you say water, do you mean moisture? they all do it it is normal. So dont think you have anything to worry about.