ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engune upgrade

04clio
Hi, new here.
We ve had an 04 clio 1.2 for a few years now, recently i used it for a few local hillclimbs and decided to keep using it.
The engine is worn out it s burning oil so I'm replacing it. Since it s being replaced i m going for 1.6 (for class reasons) also getting a cup in Malta is not cheap to say the least.

I got a k4m9766 engine and a microsquirt ecu i m doing full wiring harness and since i would still need an ecu/harness might aswell go for a standalone.

So my question is will the 12 gearbox fit? (I know it has lower ratios but i think it would suit my needs better). And about mountings do i need the brackets aswell for the 1.6? Can anyone reccomend a good

set the harder the better. I will take the engine apart tomorrow i m fitting new gaskets and waterpump to be safe am i missing something?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Gearbox mounting will depend on the age and model of the K4M - If its a K4M from early to mid 2000's that was used in the MK2 Clio then it will be easy.

Gearbox I cant answer as the 1.2 16v will use a JB1 (starter motor on the front) and a K4M Clio will use a JB3 (rear starter I'm sure!) - I believe a JC5 will fit (172/182)

The engine will fit straight in, upper gearbox mount is the same, lower gearbox mount (dog bone at the rear) on the 1.2 will look different and may not be as strong, will fit, but a 1.6/2.0 one fits straight on. The upper left hand engine mount will be different from your 1.2 one but the mounting holes are the same so just use the 1.6/2.0 one. I would get the 4th engine mount that the 172/182 uses that bolts to the gearbox and through the subframe as you will take a lot of the lower movement out of the engine and gearstick movement will be massively reduced - For this you will need the mount its self and the bracket that bolts onto the gearbox.

wiring is usually a bit more complicated and you would need a matching ECU, UCH, and key and the engine wiring loom from a 1.6 16v Clio - but you seem to have this covered going standalone?

04clio
Gearbox mounting will depend on the age and model of the K4M - If its a K4M from early to mid 2000's that was used in the MK2 Clio then it will be easy.

Gearbox I cant answer as the 1.2 16v will use a JB1 (starter motor on the front) and a K4M Clio will use a JB3 (rear starter I'm sure!) - I believe a JC5 will fit (172/182)

The engine will fit straight in, upper gearbox mount is the same, lower gearbox mount (dog bone at the rear) on the 1.2 will look different and may not be as strong, will fit, but a 1.6/2.0 one fits straight on. The upper left hand engine mount will be different from your 1.2 one but the mounting holes are the same so just use the 1.6/2.0 one. I would get the 4th engine mount that the 172/182 uses that bolts to the gearbox and through the subframe as you will take a lot of the lower movement out of the engine and gearstick movement will be massively reduced - For this you will need the mount its self and the bracket that bolts onto the gearbox.

wiring is usually a bit more complicated and you would need a matching ECU, UCH, and key and the engine wiring loom from a 1.6 16v Clio - but you seem to have this covered going standalone?
thanks for the info,

I m using microsquirt stand alone and will make a new loom so immo ecu keys ign ect i shouldn t need.
I ll look into the 4th mounting sounds great i also need to replace the gearleaver mountings as when i hard shift i hear metal to metal and lever moves back more.
engine is now mostly assembled as i took it apart for full gasket set and a lick of paint. Stuck waiting timing tool. As soon as i finish the engine ill take the 12 off and see if box fits

thanks

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
thanks for the info,

I m using microsquirt stand alone and will make a new loom so immo ecu keys ign ect i shouldn t need.
I ll look into the 4th mounting sounds great i also need to replace the gearleaver mountings as when i hard shift i hear metal to metal and lever moves back more.
engine is now mostly assembled as i took it apart for full gasket set and a lick of paint. Stuck waiting timing tool. As soon as i finish the engine ill take the 12 off and see if box fits

thanks
remember the engine was also available with 133hp in the Twingo and Clio GT so there will be scope to get more power out it id imagine using the parts from those!