ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Entice me

182 Cup
Hi my name is James. Over the passed 2 years ive owned three 106 Rallyes. At the moment I own a Series 1 track car which has been off the road since FCS. Its given me nothing but grief and im seriously considering selling it along with all my aftermarket bits and buying a standard PH1 172. Ive never been in one let alone drive one so im unsure what to expect. Ive only heard of people going to 172/182s from rallyes and ended up regretting it. So im undecided at the moment whether its worth pressing on with my car or getting it or sorted and selling up in favour of a clio. What do you guys reckon?

A4 Avant
Welcome,

1*2 are quick little cars. With a few well chosen mods they are awesome. If your into track days then maybe the 172 cup would be the one for you. Strip it with a set of buckets and i'm sure you wouldn't be missing your 106!

182 Cup
Cost wise im looking at spending around 4500 so I think that rules out anything quicker or higher spec'd than a standard 172.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
ive just done it the other way i currently own both a s2 rallye and a ph1 172

the clio goes tomorow.. imo the rallye is more fun

Rallye is deffo more fun imo and standard for standard is much better handling... in fact it corners better I'd say that a coilovered 172! Best bet is to try the Clio, as it's newer and obviously a fair bit quicker and a 172 Cup sounds like the best option... however, if you want a proper Clio with a raw experience, better handling than the newer pish then get a Williams. Miles more fun than any newer Clio and can be made to go faster and are top track cars if you can live with yourself for molesting a Williams! lol (I did... they are there to drive end of the day)

182 Cup
Interesting! The thing with the 172 that appeals is the fact they are newer also and probably a tad more desirable. Ive heard a few people going back to rallyes though, I feel like ive been sucked into the rallye fold and now I wont escape!

Hyundai i40
ive had 3 106s, s2 1.1, qs & gti. plan to get a s2 rallye at some point as i miss the rawness of the pug and the handling.

i love the 172 but i will always have summit in my heart that loves the 106s, i spose it was my 1st car love! lol

id say go test drive a few and see wot you think.dont get me wrong the 172 is a good step up from the 106 id go with the cup if ur into ur rallyes.

if you anything like me u will miss ur 106.

the 172s handle well, may take a bit of getting use to.