ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EOS 450d or Nikon D60

BMW M5 & E36
May have been discussed before and I know there's a similar thread on the go at the moment regarding the EOS dual lense bundle that Jessops are doing, but..

Say I have roughly £450 to spend at the moment.

Would you opt for a Nikon D60, 18-55mm VR lense, Tamrom 70-300mm and an 8gb Sandisk card

OR

The Canon 450d, 18-55mm IS lens and no card from what I can gather.

Unsure what to do. The Tamron is included for 48 quid over the standard D60 with the VR lense, but if I was to add it onto the 450d and go for that dual lense bundle (too expensive for now) then it adds £113 onto the price. How good/bad is the Tamron? Would I be better off getting just a single lense for now and then look for something else possibly better than the Tamron when I have more money?

And obviously it's personal preference, but 450d or D60?!

Sorry for possible repeat question/ramblings, just need to decide pretty sharpish in time for xmas.

Cheers,
Chris

Have you held them? TBH as a first DSLR a lot will depend on how it feels in your hands.

But I think you should be comparing the 450D and the D40. I dont think the extra for the D60 is worth it.

I would buy this in a heartbeat...

Nikon D80 + Nikon 18-55 VR = £390

http://www.jessops.com/online.store...ikon/D80 18-55mm VR Lens kit-75429/Show.html

As I've just mentioned in another thread, bang for buck I can't imagine there is a cheaper camera out there at the moment. Forget that it's 'last gen', it's one of the most popular DSLRs ever, and more importantly has an AF motor (which you won't have in a D60) which long term will make it cheaper to own than a D60 imo.

Say that's £400 with a card, and that's £50 left essentially. Save up another £30 or so and get a Sigma 70-300 (should be able to find one for about £80-90) and you have one hell of a kit for under £500.

Sigma 70-300: http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1008570, haven't shopped around for prices but that's the lens.

Last edited:
  BMW M5 & E36
Excellent, more to decide between! I gather older isn't necessarily a bad thing as it perhaps would be with point and shoot camera's?

Forgive my lack of understanding, but what significance does the AF motor have in the D80 over what the D60 has and why does that potentially make it cheaper in the long run?

Sigma 70-300 sounds a good shout, have seen it mentioned no end of times on here, also cheaper than I'd expect.

The advice is much appreciated!

172 mk2 Iceberg
the d80 has the focus motor built in to the body

making it a bit heavier but able to focus lenses that dont have a built in focus motor

Yep as above, basically every Nikon lens made since about 1980 or some stupidly long time ago will work on a D80, with the D40 or D60 you will only get autofocus with 'AFS' lens (which are inherently more expensive)

So, if you want every lens to autofocus, you will need to spend a lot more on lens for the D40/60 than you would on the D80. The Sigma 70-300 is a good example actually, 'normal' version that will AF on a D80 = £95, exactly the same lens for the D40/60 = £146. Another good example is the Nikon 50mm 1.8, normally £75, want the nearest thing that will autofocus on a D40/60? That will be £270.

Eventually it will start to even out as Sigma/Tamron will offer autofocus built in to all their new lens, and Nikon will replace most of theirs with AFS versions, but this will take many years.

Honestly there is no competition imo, I imagine even the Canon fans here would recommend a D80 over a 450D, so if you can grab hold of one it's worth seeing if you like it. They won't hang around forever, when the D200 was discontinued it was completely gone within a month or two.

I vote the D60, but only because I am not a pro or even semi-pro, I don't have a lot of lenses and the lenses I do have are all AF-S and cover the ranges I want. Plus I like the size of the D60.

'Another good example is the Nikon 50mm 1.8, normally £75, want the nearest thing that will autofocus on a D40/60? That will be £270.'

Very true, but the new 50mm AF-S is F1.4 and the old 50mm F1.4 was damn expensive too, and that didn't even have AF-S! I think Nikons version is priced fairly good for a new release. Its around the same price as the Canon F1.4 and cheaper than the Sigma 50mm F1.4. The IQ is up there with the best and its AF speed in low light is great, plus you do get what you pay for in build quality!

I vote the D60, but only because I am not a pro or even semi-pro, I don't have a lot of lenses and the lenses I do have are all AF-S and cover the ranges I want. Plus I like the size of the D60.

'Another good example is the Nikon 50mm 1.8, normally £75, want the nearest thing that will autofocus on a D40/60? That will be £270.'

Very true, but the new 50mm AF-S is F1.4 and the old 50mm F1.4 was damn expensive too, and that didn't even have AF-S! I think Nikons version is priced fairly good for a new release. Its around the same price as the Canon F1.4 and cheaper than the Sigma 50mm F1.4. The IQ is up there with the best and its AF speed in low light is great, plus you do get what you pay for in build quality!

Absolutely, don't get me wrong I would usually recommend the D40/60 without hesitation, but whilst this deal is around and falls in budget I think it would be crazy to miss it - the only possible deal breaker being that it is ever so slightly bigger - as always handling should probably be 95% of the decision making process.

The D80 isn't really any more complex to use, unlike the D300 etc it still has the usual PASM mode dial with scene modes etc, so it can be used like a compact if needs be.

Yeah I do agree with you, I would have probably chosen the D80 if it had felt right, but the D40/D60 just fits the bill for me!

As for the 50mm AF-S - damn lens, can't find the bugger in stock anywhere... and the cheeky b******s on ebay are wanting £350-£400 from HK!!! flol!

Yeah I do agree with you, I would have probably chosen the D80 if it had felt right, but the D40/D60 just fits the bill for me!

As for the 50mm AF-S - damn lens, can't find the bugger in stock anywhere... and the cheeky b*****ds on ebay are wanting £350-£400 from HK!!! flol!

Ahhh I read about this, big supply problems apparently (as expected, it's chuffin popular), Jessops seem to be letting down everybody that pre-ordered.

Warehouse Express are probably your best bet for a pre-order.

If I'm ever feeling really flush (unlikely) I might upgrade my 50mm 1.8 as this new one seems like a cracker, and f1.4 would be nice. I found a Sigma 20mm 1.8 cheap this week though, so that's my Christmas purchase.

Grays had some, but thats it I think! I spoke to Warehouse express ans they said there not expecting stock till Jan now, ahh well, the wait goes on!

£200 extra for 1 stop less? Hmmmm.

More money than sense, JJ. Or are Barclays paying for this? ;)

AF-S Motor, F1.4, Full time manual over ride, rounded blades... blah blah blah ;)

Its the same with Canon TBH - the price difference between the F1.8 and F1.4 is also sizable.

lol, I know, it gets silly.

Is there a comparison anywhere?

I cant see there being that much difference..

For hobbyists unless you are absolutely minted it's pointless. But I imagine - for example - Premiership football photographers (many of whom apparently use 400mm 2.8 and 80-200 2.8) the extra DoF the 2.8 gives you over f4 at those focal lengths is absolutely critical (not to mention the lower light capabilities)

Got to say though, the bokeh in that Flickr 50mm AFS group is lovely, certainly nicer than the 50mm 1.8. I guess most people would never see the difference, but for those that do, it's certainly there...just not sure I would pay the extra for it considering my 1.8 autofocuses, though.

Last edited: