ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which DSLR for my needs

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Right, I'm looking for a DSLR camera.

I used to be quite into photography in 6th form and I'd quite like to get back into it with some decent equipment that won't need replacing for years to come. It will be quite a learning curve moving away from PAS cameras but its something I've wanted to do for years.

It will be used for:

-Nature / outdoors / some close up work
-Car photography
-Some video work

I have a rough budget of £600 (Jessops offer 6months 0%) :D

I've read through the buyers guide and quite a few reviews and it seems like you cant really go wrong with any of the cameras available today. However these 3 have caught my eye..

Nikon D5100 + 18-55mm VR Lens - £630
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/80903/show.html

Nikon D90 + 18-55mm VR Lens Kit - £600
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/77763/show.html

Canon EOS 500D + 18-55mm + 75-300mm Twin Lens Kit - £580
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/80640/show.html

Can anyone offer some expert advice / reviews from experiences?

Many thanks

I can't offer any experiences on any of those bodies or lenses, but I have heard a lot of bad things about the Canon 75-300mm lens! I'm sure a few people on here have/had that lens.

How come the D90 is cheaper? I thought that was a higher spec camera?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
When are you looking to get one mate? You're quite welcome to have a play with my d5100 on CS Saturday if you're about?

57 Clio Campus Sport
I bought that D90 package and love it. Just want a bigger lens. It depends how much 'some video work' is. I wouldn't say the video on D90 isn't the best of the 3.

I think D90 is a better camera to use than the 5100 but the 5100 would produce a slightly higher quality image.

Not sure about the Canon but the 5100 doesn't have built in motor.

BTW check out quidco for 4% off, might not do along with finance.

Last edited:
Maybe consider Sony a580 too, has the same sensor as the Nixon5100 and 'probably' the canon too. Thy at this range it comes down to the handling and lens choice.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Go to Jessops/Currys and have a play with the cameras then make up your mind how much you want to spend. Then treble that at least, for lenses and accessories in the first few months ... ;)

Megane RS 275 Trophy
Get the D90 at that price! :)

Bargain for a great camera plus you also get 4% for sale amount excluding VAT if you go via quidco, but just go into the store and try then and see which feels best in the hand.

I bet you go with Nikon (welcome to the dark side):evil:

"Navy" N17 TWO
Bargain for a great camera plus you also get 4% for sale amount excluding VAT if you go via quidco, but just go into the store and try then and see which feels best in the hand.

I bet you go with Nikon (welcome to the dark side):evil:

THIS!
My D90 body was £570 but then again I have it about 2 years-ish :)