ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EPAS Conversion Parts Required

dan's cast offs.
yup, full column, motor and ecu. you could do with as much of the power lead to the ecu as possible.

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
Might be better finding a one in a breakers yard rather than ordering off eBay then.
Rich

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
I've found a 1.2 in my local scrap yard with EPAS, I take it the column (upper and lower) is the same as a DCi?
Rich

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
yup. same. make sure you get the power plug and some of the wire for the ecu.
I’m confused what this means? Do you mean the wires to the steering ECU or is there more cables that go elsewhere to another ecu and to get power from? I’m sure they doesn’t make much sense either?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I’m confused what this means? Do you mean the wires to the steering ECU or is there more cables that go elsewhere to another ecu and to get power from? I’m sure they doesn’t make much sense either?

Wiring to the steering ECU for power and earth

Screenshot_20200628-151242.png

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
So that's the bit that plugs into the ECU and the other end into the rest of the harness that you are adding it into?

Also are all dci mk2 have epas and apart from what I have read that the dci rack is more robust than the standard 172 rack. Also, did I read somewhere that the dci rack has a quicker lock to lock?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yeah dci has a quicker rack, not sure if its any more robust but it does bolt directly to the subframe so no bushes to worry about.

Yes the EPAS ecu has 3x connectors:
  1. goes directly to the motor its a green cable so you need that with your epas setup you remove from a car
  2. is where your eBay epas controller plugs into
  3. is where the above cable goes into, your then connecting the pos to a feed from the battery and the neg gets grounded anywhere near the ecu under the dash (this is the power cable from the dash loom in the non RS which the RS doesnt have)

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
yeah dci has a quicker rack, not sure if its any more robust but it does bolt directly to the subframe so no bushes to worry about.

Yes the EPAS ecu has 3x connectors:
  1. goes directly to the motor its a green cable so you need that with your epas setup you remove from a car
  2. is where your eBay epas controller plugs into
  3. is where the above cable goes into, your then connecting the pos to a feed from the battery and the neg gets grounded anywhere near the ecu under the dash (this is the power cable from the dash loom in the non RS which the RS doesnt have)
Perfect, so 3. you cut into a life feed into the your existing loom to give the ECU power and then ground it somewhere under the dash where a ground can be found.

If I've understood that correctly then that's spot on

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Perfect, so 3. you cut into a life feed into the your existing loom to give the ECU power and then ground it somewhere under the dash where a ground can be found.

If I've understood that correctly then that's spot on
almost, you need to run a new power cable from the battery to the live on that connector (the ebay epas kit comes with an inline fuse) you then ground it under the dash.

The eBay kit needs you to also ground a wire, take an ignition switched 12v feed (i used the cruise control switch) and comes with instructions to connect the 4 remaining wires to the steering column torque sensor.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Is this missing anything or is this what I need for the conversion? I'm guessing the large cable from the motor plugs into the ECU and the white plug with some cable at the top centre of the picture is the one I run power to from the battery?
1594134953967.png

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Missing lower uj
Thought so. Can you not use the one from what’s in the 1*2 or is it a different UJ on the EPAS racks? I’ve got myself the rack just trying to find the column etc now

Thought so. Can you not use the one from what’s in the 1*2 or is it a different UJ on the EPAS racks? I’ve got myself the rack just trying to find the column etc now
Well technically you could but thats a massive downgrade the manual rack being rubber not solid like from electric column. If you did that with epas you would 100% sell the car the next day :LOL:

It seems most ebay listings dont come with the that part which is s**t, some sell it separately for a bit too much or you can luck out and find a twingo part which will fit 100% as I used one on manual rack.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Yeah that’s what I’ve found. Can find lots of the top halves but non complete. Or even if I try searching for the lower part I can’t find any?

I’ve found breaking clios online but do I trust then to take the whole parts I need? Then you pay for it and it arrived and then you realise there not sold you the compete system