ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EPAS plugs already in loom??

Power and earth plug already in the loom? (loom from 172 cup) Its not connected to the battery though?

@GrahamS

IMG_5799.JPG

IMG_5801.JPG

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Having done the EPAS conversation myself also, I think the answer to your question is yes, however I have a 182 Cup so not sure if that makes a difference.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Yep that adds up, my cup was the same. It just needs the power wire running from the engine fuseboard into the r107. You will still have to run the control box and splice the wires from the sensor on the column. That's good because it will already be connected into the diagnostic network and dash light.

This is what the wire will look like although it's the one with an 80A fuse on the end.
IMG_7696.JPG

I cover doing the change here https://cliosport.net/threads/grahams-summer-172-cup-track-car.768675/page-2

I was just looking through your thread funnily enough. But I dont understand as mine already has the red connector for the fuse?

IMG_5810.JPG

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Confusion caused by me! it's actually a brown one. That was just representing the part. Only the brown one from an EPAS equipped car is the right diameter, 7mm^2

B9A728B9-E9E5-4DE9-8310-02A923672D66.jpeg

Ah okay! I see it here, but I dont have the extra slots by this relay so I take it Id need the full epas engine bay loom and bulkhead loom? Will just do it on its own power otherwise.

img_20140709_2242381_zps4ca2ac1b-jpg.jpg

I just checked and the green connector is for the air conditioning fan which I dont have, so I can just replace it with that?

Have ordered the loom. I measured the gauge of the wire from the other plugs (red and green) but they are 3.8mm and 3.4mm which seems too small. The wire coming out the fuse holder is the thicker 4.5mm ish guage for all connections so Ill be able swap out the green plug for the brown when It arrives

Have ordered the loom. I measured the gauge of the wire from the other plugs (red and green) but they are 3.8mm and 3.4mm which seems too small. The wire coming out the fuse holder is the thicker 4.5mm ish guage for all connections so Ill be able swap out the green plug for the brown when It arrives

It isnt 4.5 its also 3.8, dont know how I measured it wrong

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I'm back. I would use the spare one you have and swap the blade from the brown plug. it's 7mm squared so diameter is about 3mm. It's only the EPAS wire which is 7mm. The other power wires running into the bulkhead connector are 5mm^2

@GrahamS Sorry for all the questions. Its just Im not sure where the brown plug can go, if its bigger than all the other wires then its the bigger than the wires that go to the battery ( from the fuse box)

IMG_5810 - Copy.JPG

Just buy the Ebay kit m8, can have it fitted in half hour.

Side note I've not had chance to sent the abs wire yet but I'm working in it!

Ive got the kit mate this is for the power wire, this way its oem and follows the loom.

No problem I cant (wont) start it until this is all done!

Trust me if there was an easier way I would do it. Garage is near a foot higher than the ground, the ground before the garage is basically a 45 degree cliff face. One day Ill have an empty costco warehouse to do this stuff!

@1985michael182 Ive wired up the controller box now bar the black wire (12v ignition feed) I dont understand it, so a wire that is fed power when you turn the key? So nearly every wire under the dash??

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Remember some wires are a constant live like door locks, immobiliser all stuff like that. So make sure it's an ignition live and it turns off or you will drain the battery in 12 hours

Thanks mate. One other thing, that fuse box for the power wire, how is that a fuse? A thin piece of metal? Because Ive taken the dash wiring for the ecu power from another loom and think I can splice them together and do what you did

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Yea you should have an inline fuse. All fuses are just thin pieces of metal designed to be weaker than your cables so if something shorts out the fuse will be overloaded and blow

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
20190701_170251.jpg

Your main power cables you could have just run straight to the battery, no messing about tracing wires back.

You then have your inline fuse on either the positive or negative line near the battery
20190702_184934.jpg

Then you need your ignition live and your variable switch wired up and that's it done.

Insulate any potential issues

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I wouldn't use the brown outer but instead swap it to one which does fit on your fuseboard. For mine I used the double orange connector which there was a space for on the cup. Excuse the incorrect 60A fuse!

IMG_9875.JPG

Just turned car on and no power steering. How do I check whats not working? And I put the 12v black wire that powers the small box to the wire that powers the dash lights brightness, too clarify it goes to a power wire that is from a switch or something that only works when the cars on??

Both your earth and big live wire need to be the same gauge and ideally on their own. Do you have it on the floor or in the air?

In the air, well the rear tyres are resting on bricks the front is in the air. Both of those wires are the oem ones and I know that the earth is bolted down.

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
You wont know if it's working unless you drop it on the floor it needs resistance to work. On your adjustable knob all the ways to the right is full power.