ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ESP/ABS & SERV Light

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Dash lit up with these lights a few days ago. Also realised my brake lights aren't turning on until a fair amount of pressure is applied.
Installed a new brake light switch which has done a grand total of f**k all. I've read that these lights can be caused by the steering angle sensor, but would that have an effect on the brake lights? The actual ABS feels fine.

Tried plugging it into a couple of diagnostic readers but both say no codes found.
Anything to try before I book it in for a costly CLIP diagnosis?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Mine has the same issue, and I’ve also changed the brake light switch. You need to adjust it to make sure the lights come on at the right time if you haven’t already.

When I used one of the apps on my phone with an ELM adapter it did give me a brake switch fault of some kind.

I used the app to clear the code, without making a note of it, and it hasn’t appeared since.

The lights are still very much on though.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Probably an abs sensor that's gone, I've had a couple over the years go with the same fault.

The brake switch would normally just show serv and esp light.

Switch needs adjusting as Daz says. The plunger is a ratcheting type, can push it in click by click and test it as you go.

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Mine has the same issue, and I’ve also changed the brake light switch. You need to adjust it to make sure the lights come on at the right time if you haven’t already.

When I used one of the apps on my phone with an ELM adapter it did give me a brake switch fault of some kind.

I used the app to clear the code, without making a note of it, and it hasn’t appeared since.

The lights are still very much on though.

I've readjusted it and to be fair they work properly now. All lights are still on though annoyingly
Probably an abs sensor that's gone, I've had a couple over the years go with the same fault.

The brake switch would normally just show serv and esp light.

Switch needs adjusting as Daz says. The plunger is a ratcheting type, can push it in click by click and test it as you go.

Okay, read in a few places that brake light switch throws all 3 up. but as above, the brake light is sorted and all dashlights are still on. So maybe it could be an abs sensor. I'll get a multimeter on them this weekend

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I've readjusted it and to be fair they work properly now. All lights are still on though annoyingly

Okay, read in a few places that brake light switch throws all 3 up. but as above, the brake light is sorted and all dashlights are still on. So maybe it could be an abs sensor. I'll get a multimeter on them this weekend

If you have access to a half decent scanner, it will show abs faults. Cheap readers don't read abs for some reason.

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
If you have access to a half decent scanner, it will show abs faults. Cheap readers don't read abs for some reason.
Tried a decent scanner before with a dedicated abs setting and nothing! But I'll have a look at the sensors anyway.
Or Maybe it'll reset itself after a drive with the adjusted brake sensor. Will see on the way to work tomorrow

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Tried a decent scanner before with a dedicated abs setting and nothing! But I'll have a look at the sensors anyway.
Or Maybe it'll reset itself after a drive with the adjusted brake sensor. Will see on the way to work tomorrow

Abs faults are usually self clearing once the thing in question has been fixed.

Odd that nothing shown up on a decent scanner 🤔

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
IMG_0163.jpeg

So yeah that might be the problem :ROFLMAO: 🤦‍♂️

Odd how it didn't throw any codes up, nor really affect the brakes.
Easy fix though thankfully.