ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ESP fun!

LY 182
Apologies if there is already a thread, couldn't find one.

Is anyone else having fun with the ESP in the snow?

It's amazing the difference with it on and off! You can have your foot planted and nothing, just pootles along, great fun!

Sorry to state the obvious but amazing what technology can do! :cool:

ESP is electronic stability programme which is about generally the steering, I take it you mean traction control? Both operated by the same switch mind.

LY 182
Sorry yes, I was first going to write traction control but I thought people would say "do you mean ESP"? lol.

My light's been going crazy over the last few days... I've only got stuck on a hill once, so can only be a good thing?

TrackCar & F30 330d
my esp does not work atm. i have 6inches of snow outside can my car is only 4 1/2 inches high.
I'v been a woos recently and not taken my car out of the garage just used my old mans focus.
I have my mot in a few hours, so watch out for a "i'v just crashed my clio" thread :(

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Got a thumbs up from a CSL owner yday! Was tempted to steal his wheels! Dik! Sound completely different! Yours got sport button! (hate it)

LoL at the CS high rollers in a Clio ESP thread, trying to turn it into a thread about them and their hypercars :D

Can be handy, just keep your foot down and it sorts itself out, but sometimes it practically stalls. I usually turn it off and have some fun sliding.

Audi TT
Found it really good for messing about in the snow, really does help the turn in on corners, it seems to lock up one of the rear wheels so you can drift the back round the corner :)

Anyone who says it's for wimps or is s**t is talking out their bum. In the snow and ice it is really good. fact.

G

Black Ph2 172
Found it really good for messing about in the snow, really does help the turn in on corners, it seems to lock up one of the rear wheels so you can drift the back round the corner :)

Anyone who says it's for wimps or is s**t is talking out their bum. In the snow and ice it is really good. fact.

G

Agreed.

Turbos.
In these sort of conditions i always find its best to just rely on yourself. My import 172 didn't have anything and i found a 182 i tried terrible with regards to the ESP/TC.

What does it actually do, simply cut power? Whats stopping the driver doing that? Its not like you're going fast enough to rely on the electronics...

Ali - What does the sport button do on the Zed? I think its just throttle response and the intake for mine. I've removed the intake flap and for me now i'm used to it i hate normal mode for throttle.

Cooper S
I tried to get to work this AM... Really deep snow. At times I found the traction control a tad intrusive but on the whole I think it is good to prevent too much wheelspin etc... I guess if you dislike it that much you can always switch it off!!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Apologies if there is already a thread, couldn't find one.

Is anyone else having fun with the ESP in the snow?

It's amazing the difference with it on and off! You can have your foot planted and nothing, just pootles along, great fun!

Sorry to state the obvious but amazing what technology can do! :cool:

That sentence doesnt make sense to me. Pootling along in snow=fun? Wrong tbh! Going sideways at every oppurtunity=fun!

ESP is off semi-permantly for me!

Megane 2 GT 165
I still enjoy my ESP yes.
Only had very little snow in Holland this year, but in general I think it's a good thing to have. I makes sure you stay on the road and keeps you focused with all the studdering it does. And in my experience it only does react when you are behaving like t**t on public roads.

I prefer mine above the same tech in my mates Golf V.

Its said that its best to turn off TC certain situations - exiting deep snow, for example. All the system does is cuts power to the engine, which can lead to the car "bogging" down. Sometimes a bit of wheel spin helps to lurch out of a snow drift, or when driving up a steep hill.

ABS is the real problem, when you brake and the wheels lock on, as they do on ice the ABS cuts the off the breaking power and you end up, effectively, with no brakes and you go, ever so gently, into whatever is in front of you.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
i live on a hill and esp/tc/dsc is useless. better off on your own as i found out yesterday when all the power gets cut from the rear wheels...

Turbos.
Can someone clarify what exactly the RS ESP/TC does then? Cutting power to the rear wheel?! Do you have a 4wd Clio?!

VaVa
lol... it can brake individual wheels..... It's not bad. The hardcore racers on here dismiss it, but it works pretty well.

I'd never describe it as 'fun' though tbh.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
no i have a bmw 320d but the hill is steep and a 'S' shape. as you try to get up it the wheels slip and then everything takes over pulling you towards the kerb.. tried it again this morning with everything off and its much better.

would rather have the cup at the mo. all the safety goodys are useless. slow and steady seems to be working though

Turbos.
Ok, yeah BMWs will brake individual wheels, didn't realise the RS did it too. I'm even more surprised people like it then!

VaVa
It's better than the ASC+T on the missus MINI. That's too slow tbh.

But yeah, the easy and manly thing to say is all traction control is gay as is ABS etc - Look at me I'm IAM bow down and kiss the ring etc. lol.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
Ok, yeah BMWs will brake individual wheels, didn't realise the RS did it too. I'm even more surprised people like it then!

me too on the straight and flat its ok but any sort of challenging road and its useless....

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone that thinks they can out perform esp/traction control in snow/ice is talking crap imo.
I remember seeing an episode of 5th gear a few years back when they tested a Jag with and without it on and it was so much better in the twisties and going up an ice hill it was unbelievable tbh.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
Anyone that thinks they can out perform esp/traction control in snow/ice is talking crap imo.
I remember seeing an episode of 5th gear a few years back when they tested a Jag with and without it on and it was so much better in the twisties and going up an ice hill it was unbelievable tbh.

ok then! i'm obviously 100% completely wrong!!!

sorry

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Not saying I can do better but not been stuck ever and there is no way esp is ever 'fun'

These toys take away from actually learning how to drive imo