ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ESP & Serv light now coming on!

Da

Less
Had 2 new PE2's fitted to the front yesterday, and today whenever I drive on the motorway for more than a couple of miles the ESP and Serv light both light up constantly.
These never showed before so I'm certain it's something related to the new tyres? Also it switches off once the car is turned off, but reilluminates once on the motorway.
It also still happens with ESP switched off! :dapprove:

Not happy! :quiet:

Can anyone please help shed any light before I give Renault a bell?

Megane Trophy, Golf
They might have unpluged a sensor on wheel by mistake! Not sure really, not heard of tyres affecting ESP before! sorry im not much help mate. ;)

Da

Less
Cheers, it's going in for service anyway in a couple of weeks. Just annoyed as fitting the tyres seems to have caused it!

Last edited:

Da

Less
:bump: does anyone know how, or indeed why having new tyres fitted would cause this problem?
Also is there anythng simple I can do to adjust/rectify as I don't really want this fault hanging around until Renault get to look at it?

FF Blackgold 182
I had the same problem but not when I had the tyres changed. When I took it in, they repleced the brake switch, as Dan 172 has already said, and updated the ECU. Simple job, when they found out what it was.

Da

Less
Cheers, might see if they can fit me in before the service then if it's a relatively simple job!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Might just be a coincidence that the esp and serv lights are coming on after you've fitted your new tyres .

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Maybe the fact it has new tyres, something is balanced up differently now, and it simply needs resetting/updating of the ecu as said above?

all these mod cons eh, i never have such worries ;)
(joke)

Da

Less
It may well be, just seems strange to me. Ah well tomorrow's tasks include removing both front wheels to check all sensors/wiring etc and disconnecting the battery for 30 mins to see if it clears the module. Hopefully these will shed some light on the issue.

Da

Less
Right, I think I may have found the problem. I've had both wheels back off and found that some sections of the old weights hadn't been removed by the tyre fitter.
On the rear of the offside wheel there was 2 sections of the old weights remaining. I presume that at speed this would give the impression of a wheel imbalance hence the ESP light coming on. I haven't road tested it yet, that's later today, but fingers crossed!

Da

Less
I haven't yet tried disconnecting the battery as I'm a little wary as to the implications from doing this. I haven't got the standard HU so I don't need to worry about the code, but what about the alarm etc? Are there any problems I could cause by disconnecting the battery?
Also, does anyone know where the ESP module is located in the car as I'd much prefer to simply unplug that so as to wipe it's memory?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Disconnecting the battery shouldn't cause any problems , i can't see it solving the problem tbh but what have you got to lose .

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Daz it will not up set the alarm, but after disconnecting the battery the first time u try and lock it it wont but plip it again and it will be fine. I think it could be the brake light switch but im sure it used to bring on the ABS light as well

Da

Less
Yeah I've looked into the brake light switch but couldn't find any info on it really. Also is the fact that I had new tyres fitted just coincidence or linked? :S Bugging me now this as I really thought it would be something simple that I could sort myself!

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
The tyres are a coincidence i think mate. Have you had the steering wheel off at all? and the tyres/wheels are still the same size?

Da

Less
Tyres are exactly the same, same size, profile, make etc even down to the speed rating! Nope, never had the steering wheel off mate.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Well im stumped it would need to be put on clip i think to see where the fault lies but only happens on the motorway?

Da

Less
It sometimes happens in normal driving, but only at sustained speeds and after say 20-30 mins has passed. Normal nipping to the shop etc and it doesn't come on. Done probably 50 ish miles today and it only came on 4 miles from home at dual carriageway speeds.

Da

Less
Doubt it mate, the airbag lights aren't coming on (thankfully), it's the ESP (traction control) light and Serv light.

Da

Less
Checked my front tyre pressures today as a 'clutching at straws' measure really, only to find that they were way over inflated at around 38psi per side! :eek: (That's by the garage that fitted them BTW!)
I deflated them a little then went for a blast up the motorway to see if this had any effect, but, alas it didn't! :dapprove:

Renaultsport Megane R26
New front tyres fitted last Friday - ESP & SERV lights came on on Tuesday - sustained speed, after about 15 min driving.

Too much of a coincidence I think???

Daz - does your cruise control fail to work too when the fault occurs?

350Z and 172 Cup
I've had a variety of lights come on the dash, the SERV light comes on with any of them. Had sensor changed which got rid of the ABS and ESP lights, now I have as airbag light sometimes!! It's annnoying as not on all the time. I like to play connect three with the warning lights! Hopefully the bulbs will all go soon and I can get on with some peaceful motoring! Quality french electrics I'm afraid!

Da

Less
New front tyres fitted last Friday - ESP & SERV lights came on on Tuesday - sustained speed, after about 15 min driving.

Too much of a coincidence I think???

Daz - does your cruise control fail to work too when the fault occurs?

yes mate, although I don't really use it TBH I just want the lights off. Mine is in the dealers now getting it sorted so I will keep this thread posted with the results (if any).

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It'll be interesting to know what they find Daz . Sure sounds like a strange one to me .