ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ESP+SERVICE lights on, ABS was on now off

182 clio
Hi, ive read the forum posts etc to see if the problems are the same. Ive recently has my Steering rack changed, and the service/esp lights came on.
A lot of posts have said this comes on when changing the steering wheel.
My mate put it on the diagnostics and the fault said it was the steering angle sensor - the reading came up at -367 degrees- and my mate tried to re-callibrate it i suppose and it would not do it saying it was too far out.
There was a lock on the steering wheel when we changed the rack so it cant be out of line, but i did changed the brake servo - and ive read some posts about the brake pedal sensor - but this did not come up on the diagnostics

Any ideas, i dont know whether to check both the wheel angle sensor + brake pedal sensor and give them a clean or if they need replacing
thanks

G

Gregor11

steering angle sensors are a nightmare, when we have changed racks at work and this comes on, it means the coloum isnt in the right place so for arguments sake, its 3.2 turns to the right, and 3.0 to the left, so once adjusted to 3.1 turns either way the light should reset. it doesnt need to be far out to put the light on!

182 clio
so does this need to be done on the diagnostics? or mechanical? i dont see how it could be mechanical cos like i said we put a lock on the wheel.
The diagnostics say its about 1 1/5 turns out of line

G

Gregor11

was the light on before you did the rack? i'll bet its mechanical and its all slightly out of sync! we've never had problems with the sensors when fitting new racks, just the positions of the racks!

182 clio
Well no it wasnt, so is it just a matter of slightly moving something or is it a start again job - because it was an absolute arse of a job doing it. Sorry im no mechanic im just a message man to my mechanic

G

Gregor11

put it on a ramp, sit in the car, hold the steering wheel straight disconnect the steering coloum from the rack and put the road wheels as straight by eye as possible and reconnect the coloum, case of trial and error mate, then have the car geometry done once the light is out!

182 clio
ok thanks for the help, gunna suck as we dont have a ramp, but will have a go tomorrow - thanks again

G

Gregor11

Have you got any of those drive up ramps? If not Halfords sell them cheap enough mate!