ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ESP/Traction control question

BG182FF
Don't normally get drawn in to CS nonsense but yes it's true, normally traction control will always hinder progress on snow and ice. Look at all the divs in there rwd cars with there T/C on not getting anywhere. Rwd will be prodominantly poor on snow but you can get about!
However ESP can really help, but not always. It's a case if suck it and see!

on a side, on my way home I was provoking the ESP by sliding etc. it's a fairly basic setup, would cut in mid slide only when it picked up a steering correction, then drag it back safely. You'd be stupid to not want it on the road for 99% it could save your toosh!
Chris

How does esp actually operate then? As thought it was just to back off the power when you spin (taking off ect) but a while back I had the back end step out on me, as if the car was about to go into a slide, straight away saw the esp light flash and the car appeared to correct itself?

Used to drive an 07 Astra Sportive cdti for work, that had esp, im sure i read something about it applying breaking to certain corners of the car when it sensed loss of control or something? Could have dreamt that mind

It has several inputs

Yaw sensor
Steering angle
Wheel speed
Throttle position

It monitors wheel speeds and if a wheel breaks traction it's speed doesn't match the rest. It then looks at the yaw sensor to see what the car is doing, then your steering angle and throttle position to see how much of a penis you are being, and how it needs to sort it out.

To sort it out say your going around a right hand bend and it has started to understeer. It cuts the power and brakes the drivers side rear wheel and tugs the car back into line, whilst actually regaining traction of the front wheels by bringing the road speed down.

Say your on the same bend but the rear has stepped out. It now brakes the passenger side rear and the passenger side front to drag the car back into line according to your steering angle.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
The only thing I found with the ESP is if you try to correct understeer/oversteer at the same time, it can get unnerving and really upset the balance of the car.

I personally find a bit of slip is needed in the snow, and TC killing the power made it difficult for me in my 172, with it off I was ok. I was struggling a bit in the 330 yesterday on the compacted snow/icy bits but a bit of patience and finesse with the throttle and it was ok, even if I did need a full turn of opposite lock just to pull away.

BG182FF
It has several inputs

Yaw sensor
Steering angle
Wheel speed
Throttle position

It monitors wheel speeds and if a wheel breaks traction it's speed doesn't match the rest. It then looks at the yaw sensor to see what the car is doing, then your steering angle and throttle position to see how much of a penis you are being, and how it needs to sort it out.

To sort it out say your going around a right hand bend and it has started to understeer. It cuts the power and brakes the drivers side rear wheel and tugs the car back into line, whilst actually regaining traction of the front wheels by bringing the road speed down.

Say your on the same bend but the rear has stepped out. It now brakes the passenger side rear and the passenger side front to drag the car back into line according to your steering angle.

Thats awesome. I had no idea such a system could work in a vehicle, pretty intelligent! :cheers:

BG182ff,explod Focus
Page 2.16 of the owners manual

Traction_control.jpg

Personally I prefer driving with it switched off as it's trying to corrrect wheel spin and/or slides at the same time as I am which just confuses the system and makes it feel as though the car is trying to crash.

182cup & 172 racecar
It just seems to against all natural feeling and reactions, although I do try drive in away as not to provoke it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
lol at this thread, what a plonker, how could anyone possibly think ESP was off as standard and had to be switched on.

172 Cup
I did some skid pan training at work, it's amazing the difference the ESP makes....although it does feel like its all over the place! Granted you lose a bit of 'feel' but I'd sooner take that away than end up backwards in a ditch slipping on some black ice!! We're not all Colin McRae haha!!