ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Essential items that need replacing after head work

Clio 182 arctic
Hey guys
Following on from my recent cambelt/auxiliary/PAS pump failure it looks like I will be getting the engine rebuilt.
Just a few questions so I know what should be done/needed.

When the head comes off, what will it need

Headgasket I imagine, but does it also require new headbolts. Is that a must.
Is there anything else that must be changed.
Given that it looks like the garage will be liable for the full cost I want to make sure no corners are cut to try to keep the costs down.

Thanks

Just get a headgasket set(HG,head seals, valve stems etc)

Your valves are probably bent also.

new head bolts are a must.
williams head bolts are €188!

No idea how much they are for 172's

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
gasket set
head bolts set
cambelt kit ( belt and tensioners and bolts )
dephaser + water pump, imo its worth doing these for the sake of them failing further down the line
aux belt kit ( belt and tensioner )
spark plugs (proper quality ones, cheapo's will fail )

oh and if they're rebuilding the head, tel them to use new cam seals, seen so many places not replaces these, when its a darn easy job with the head off.

clio mk2 1.2 75hp
ok lets stop posting off-topic guys :) lets talk how to increase whp on 1.2l :) man has asked how to become faster WITH 1.2 :)
get 4-2-1 manifold de-cat
straight through exhaust
skim the head
port polish ports
triple angle valves cut
and if you can find a performance camshaft and inlet manifold and shim it up
port polish throttle body

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
ok lets stop posting off-topic guys :) lets talk how to increase whp on 1.2l :) man has asked how to become faster WITH 1.2 :)
get 4-2-1 manifold de-cat
straight through exhaust
skim the head
port polish ports
triple angle valves cut
and if you can find a performance camshaft and inlet manifold and shim it up
port polish throttle body
errrrmmmm you're off topic mate :eek:

clio mk2 1.2 75hp
doup! ! ! ! that's what happens when trying to replay in 3 different topics :) sorry guys :) may bad, don't slap my face to hard :D

clio
gasket set
head bolts set
cambelt kit
dephaser
aux belt
spark plugs and also inform and instruct to garage guys that use the new seals in every part of head usually they did no change due to difficulty but its good to change the old seals with new.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Headbolts, although strongly advised, are not essential. Bit of a waste of time to not fit new though.
Dephaser is not essential

I would be asking for valve guides to be replaced as they can easily go oval when valves are bent, and valve seats must be re-cut when this is done.
Head gasket
Stem seals
Inlet manifold gaskets
Exhaust manifold gasket
dephaser solenoid seal
Cam seals kit inc nut and bolt
Cambelt kit inc end caps
Aux belt kit

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its a head set and a pair of belt kits and a set of bolts basically.

Your exhaust manifold gasket for example will almost certainly go again, but given it comes in the set anyway its not a cost saving to do so.

Sadly I bet they will not use genuine renault though, which is a shame as the renault parts are good quality, but I doubt you can insist they do so, might be worth offering to pay the difference yourself rather than end up with pattern rubbish? seeing as they are doing the labour anyway its not going to effect the price much to just use genuine parts.

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
Would you lot say that the head wouldn't need a pressure test then as historically people say they could be warped on a failure or do these heads tend to be a bit more solid?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
very rare to see an F4R head that needs a skim even, I've never seen one with cracks except where it was over ported and went through a waterway

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Would you lot say that the head wouldn't need a pressure test then as historically people say they could be warped on a failure or do these heads tend to be a bit more solid?

Ive sent a few off to be checked for flatness and they have always been perfect, unless the gasket has actually blown or you are being mega fussy I dont think you even need to check really TBH.