ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Estonian porsche meeting

Is this what we have to aim for at FCS?

IMG_2453.jpg

ValverInBits
imnpressive photos

IMG_2046.jpg

This to me looks like a sh1t load of cars just waiting to get utterly OWNED.
I still don't know why I hate MX-5s with such a passion. I think it's the cheek of Mazda selling it as a sports car when it's so hideously underpowered. And this is the company that gave us the 787B race car and the RX-7 for god sake

visualize whirled pe
Nice collection of porka's

imnpressive photos

IMG_2046.jpg

This to me looks like a sh1t load of cars just waiting to get utterly OWNED.
I still don't know why I hate MX-5s with such a passion. I think it's the cheek of Mazda selling it as a sports car when it's so hideously underpowered. And this is the company that gave us the 787B race car and the RX-7 for god sake

Let me educate you. Especially seeing as you've never owned a rwd car let alone an mx5.

It's not about the amount of power you have to use in the MX5, it's the handling that makes it a great car.
Almost anyone can jump in an MX5 and drive it well on the limit, even an inexperienced driver like you. It's as close as you can get to a drivers car for sub £4k. Cup suspension, pah, Mazda didn't offer poorer handling versions of this car and expect you to pay for the privilage of an upgrade, you get a good handling one from bog standard.

If having 115bhp from an early 1.6 16v is not good enough; you are spoilt for choice when it comes to chosing forced induction for an mx5. A basic Greddy turbo kit for an MX5 can be had from £1000 and can be fitted by anyone with half a brain in a weekend, that'll get you 150-170bhp but for £3500 you will easily get over 300bhp, some are pushing over 400....from a 1600cc engine FFS!!!! That's not even scratching the surface, you can supercharge instead, or start modifiying with a 1.8 16v to begin with more power, or even start using nos....... Or fit coilovers and make it handle like a £20k exige. Yet still remain reliable.

Of course, you could pay £6k to turbocharge a 1*2 clio only to get 250bhp, from a bigger engine, that still won't handle as well as an mx5 and it'll chew up gearboxes for a day job, now that's (as you would say) utterly OWNED....

MKIII 138
Or fit coilovers and make it handle like a £20k exige. Yet still remain reliable.

where your argument falls down.

if you even understood the basics of proper suspenion design on topics such as suspension compliance , mid corner travel, bump steer, That a low suspension setup will also alter the geometry of the rack to hub carrier link and make the car far more prone to bump steer and nervous on an uneven surfaces, The advantages of the reduced center of gravity and roll centre is heavily outweighed by the reduced compliance, increased bump steer and inability to 'large it' on anything but a smooth road..

which uk roads arent ;)

im guesing your the type who just bangs them on, puts them on the lowest and firmest setting and enjoys the reduced roll and firmness to the ride without taking into account the need for a properly setup system.
Proper adjustable damping will cost you ££££. Most of the sub 500 quid a damper units are useless, unless you dyno each shock at each adjustment point. Basicaly the adjustment on them isn't linear so one "click" on the shock can be a massive change in rebound.

the beauty of the mx-5 is in its factory setup. i dont claim to know anything like what mazda engineers do about suspension and i dont think anyone else on here really does either, coilovers are 99% asthetic to most users wether thats the reason they bought them or not.

and the same is could be said for certain elises, although they have better aerodynamics and tyres are more aggresive.

new mx-5 looks nice. shame they couldnt do a RX-5