ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ethernet port trouble

Ok so another pc im fixing at the moment, couldnt figure this one, i had a second had tower bought off a mate, i used it to go on the internet via ethernet to the router at my home for a few days whilst my pc was rebuilt... so i knew the ethernet port worked...

Anyway so the pc i built for my grandparents a few years ago the motherboard has died its old and nakerd, so i put a fresh install of xp on the new-er tower and took it over thinking all fine and dandy, Ethernet cable in, on the internet and go from there...

Well the Ethernet just wouldn't work... i got the green light but no amber, tried firmware updates... not sure they worked... but nothing... internet explorer giving the page could not be displayed...

Even tried a wireless card i had but couldn't get that to work, by this time i was pissed off.

Been through bios to see if anything was switched off, tried Ethernet driver updates, not sure if they where successful.

Oh yeah went into device manager > network adapters > the only thing listed, cant remember what it was called, tried to manually update the driver, said it couldnt connect, was 2 hours in at this time after starting off and i gave up...

I tried everything i knew and usually it would have been working by then!, any suggestions?

I cant at the moment mate, the computers over my nans, im going to have a think what to do, would flashing the bios to a newer version be a good idea or will that not effect ethernet?

Tower is a : HP Pavilion a1509.uk

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=uk&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3222518#N188

Looking at the original software drop down menu, do the Nvidia LAN drivers look right ? :S

Also when installing from setup it would not, and give me instructions to go into device manager, click networks adapters and upgrade driver but i couldnt get it to work...

Yeah thats what i thought when i was doing it, pain in the arse! ok ill try and screen print tomorrow and get back with some results... Cheers.

Edit: think im losing the plot but the network adapter was a 4 digit number... then after doing some random googling, i got 1394 which is firewire... would that show up in network connections? just wondering... if so thats what came up (i think) under network adapters and thats all...

DCi
i take it you installed the wireless card drivers with a CD that came with it? Seems strange that 2 different devices wont work

edit: yes it would and that isn't your ethernet port as you have identified.

Audi S1
This is what I would do.

Device Manager, get the name etc... google said name along with drivers. Download them, install them and hope for the best lol.

Edit: google off someone else's PC obviously

DCi
if the device hasn't been installed then it probably won't have its 'proper' name and will show up with something like network adapter

The wireless card was from another machine and i went home and grabbed it in desperation to get some sort of internet working, i downloaded the corresponding drivers from Belkin (dislike Belkin anyway) and none of the two lights where flashing on the card... so god knows tbh...

Also was only getting green on the ethernet, and no drivers where working so i was at a brick wall after trying a fair few options

I think in the device manager possibly only the firewire port is showing up i could be wrong but thats what im thinking... my nan wants to order a new tower to do all her voluntary work on so i think ill just get a new tower its just id like to save money and get it all working for cheap! such a pain, so ill go over tomorrow and jot down whats showing up and report back,

Cheers fellas.

Edit had the tower open all day, the ethernet is inbuilt to the mobo, ill see if i can see a chip for info if there will be one?

2.2 bar shed.
Edit had the tower open all day, the ethernet is inbuilt to the mobo, ill see if i can see a chip for info if there will be one?

Ethernet will 99.9% sure be built into the southbridge. Screenshot as said above ftw.

Polo + Micra
if thats the tower you have got

then if it was me i'd download the nvidia lan driver stick it on a usb stick and install it on said pc

if thats the tower you have got

then if it was me i'd download the nvidia lan driver stick it on a usb stick and install it on said pc

I tried to install that driver, it wouldnt, gave me instructions to do it manually over device manager but it wouldnt work, someone said you need interenet to do that and thats the thing i dont have haha!

tried a different router??

I havent mate, maybe ill take it home and try mine, but plugged the cable into the laptop with the wireless switched off and it worked perfectly off the ethernet cable alone so i know the routers fine.

Going over to take a screen shot and report back soon, only over the road, the copy of windows xp sp3 (some fancy edition ahem) loaded on as it was the only xp version i had so im going to put the proper xp home edition on ive found now, other is loaded with spam tools.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Couple of tips for you...

1, Just stick Windows 7 on as it's loads better at finding drivers and generally loads better.

2, Before you flatten any machine your working on take a full image of it using Acronis and the like AND/OR get all the drivers off it before hand using Drivermax, it's free btw;).
http://www.drivermax.com/

Polo + Micra
yeah the drivers extract from the exe

so in device manager find the NIC update driver manually navigate to C:\softpaq\sp26744\LAN_nVidia

then it should be automatic from there

i can't see it needing the internet as they would know that would be impossible lol

Last edited:
Right cheers for the help fellas, just been over and screen printed, i was right about only being a 1394 port showing up, extracted the lan driver, tried to manually install the driver... there wasnt one as far as i could see browsing for it in the folder the only 2 recognisable files clicked said this is irrelevant to your hardware etc.

Ill let the pics do the talking... putting fresh install of xp home ed, the one i should have in the first place, not sure it will make a difference though, win7 is a good shout actually,

Tech specs: (silver tower) if it helps: http://www.topproduct.nl/hardware/d...n-a1509.uk-pc-rc631aa.html?compareWith=277842

Only thing in network connections:
3-6.gif

The folder i was browsing to try and find the driver? nothing was showing up that worked
2-11.gif

And lastly the screen print of DM

4-5.gif

Ignore the funky windows theme, its not even showing up thats what im baffed about, ethernet definitely worked before the new windows.
Cheers for the help

Feck, didnt check, will do when i go over next, what about the driver in the folder? supposed to be .ftd? wasn't showing up although i see it in there?

Excellent mate ill have a look, but me trying to do a manual update on the 1394 is pointless isn't it that's why it saids irelivant to your hardware...

So unless its under other devices im naffed aren't I? I cant understand why its just disappeared!

Or get an external ethernet i guess.

Polo + Micra
just double check it isn't disabled in bios other wise you might have to get a pci NIC

Got there in the end, was in other devices, makes me feel such a tit after but i only learn from my mistakes! another thing learnt, never had major problems with network drivers before,

Right clicked "ethernet port" manual update, working, What a relief

Cheers Dink, and anyone else who contributed, CS FTW.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Got there in the end, was in other devices, makes me feel such a tit after but i only learn from my mistakes! another thing learnt, never had major problems with network drivers before,

Right clicked "ethernet port" manual update, working, What a relief

Cheers Dink, and anyone else who contributed, CS FTW.

As said before use Acronis and Drivermax before you undertake any rebuilds etc...

For the time it takes it will pay for it's self one day. I learn't this the hard way:(.