ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Europe Road Trip help/advice

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I'm looking into a road trip in Europe for two weeks this year as my Fiesta will have loads of miles i've paid for but not used on it, so what better way of using up excess miles than than going round Europe!

This is the route of come up with so far, but i've not done it before so don't know if my expectations of how far i can travel are too high or low? I'd also like to keep the costs reasonable so AirBnB will probably be used as well as cheaper hotels and camping of course can be an option too.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-23%20at%2020.17.25.png

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/D...f13e81646da0!2m2!1d2.3767763!2d51.0343684!3e0

What do you guys think?

The idea is to have a couple of nights at Pisa, San Marino (beach) and Lake Garda then head home via the Auto and Technik Museum Sinsheim.

As i've not done this before and i'm aware loads of you guys have i'd appreciate tips on where to go, what to see and any other advice in general!

terryc101

ClioSport Club Member
When are you going?

I'd say try and limit your driving to 6hours or less a day to make it enjoyable, doing 2/3 hours..break...2/3hours is easy and doesn't tire you out mentally.

Remember not to spend all your cash as you'll need some for the tolls home.

Camping is really cheap but be warned if you're going in the holidays as it seems everyone from Germany goes on camping holidays to Italy so it can be very busy if you haven't booked.

Mine from last year http://www.cliosport.net/threads/european-roadtrip-2015.780747/#post-10858735

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Monaco is good to visit but unless you've got multiple zeros on the end of your bank account there is f*ck all to do. I was bored once I'd walked the track.

I'd personally factor in atleast 2nights in Switzerland. By far the most amazing scenery I've ever seen, blew stelvio etc out of the water. Lake garda was great aswell.

As said I'd limit your driving to 6/7 hours a day max. I did most of my trip in a Focus ST but then did a 13 hour driving day in a Civic Type R and it was horrific.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
That makes sense, I think stopping at Monaco for a couple of hours on the way through would be enough for me. But I don't want to try and fit too much in, I can always plan another trip to see other parts of Europe, it's not like it's a once in a life time trip.

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Malcesnie is lovely. Mate had his wedding over there. The castle is nice too walk around so are all the tiny streets. The roads around there are pretty crap for driving but its very very nice. Yea the south has a bloody theme park !!

terryc101

ClioSport Club Member
Malcesnie is lovely. Mate had his wedding over there. The castle is nice too walk around so are all the tiny streets. The roads around there are pretty crap for driving but its very very nice. Yea the south has a bloody theme park !!

My mum went over there for a wedding at that castle, from the pics it looks beautiful.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Looks like a nice route there.

Planning is the key, and throw most of your budgeting out the window. You'll always spend more. You can account for hotels, ferries and the like but fuel prices vary and you always end up spending more to have fun.

This thread has some broken links, at the bottom I've added a new link for photos and the video.

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/4-000-miles-in-a-skoda-eurotrip-2015-pictures.777356/#post-10990321

I've done that Eurotrip, and another with friends a couple of years ago. It's awesome fun and the best holidays I've ever had, flying just doesn't compare! If you want any more advice on how to plan it all etc. I'm happy to help!

Suzuki Jimny
As I mentioned in the other road trip thread, eating at service stations quickly adds up to be very expensive! I would recommend a small 12v refrigerator for lunch things like cheese and ham :)
Also always add on a load of time above what google maps says!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
As I mentioned in the other road trip thread, eating at service stations quickly adds up to be very expensive! I would recommend a small 12v refrigerator for lunch things like cheese and ham :smile:
Yep and yep! I usually beat the Google time, but I add an extra couple of hours on for stops etc.

The last trip my route back was 3 days of 12 hour drives, Its doable but I was broken at the end!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
As I mentioned in the other road trip thread, eating at service stations quickly adds up to be very expensive! I would recommend a small 12v refrigerator for lunch things like cheese and ham :)

12v cool box is a great shout, I'll see if my parents still have theirs!

Looks like a nice route there.

Planning is the key, and throw most of your budgeting out the window. You'll always spend more. You can account for hotels, ferries and the like but fuel prices vary and you always end up spending more to have fun.

This thread has some broken links, at the bottom I've added a new link for photos and the video.

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/4-000-miles-in-a-skoda-eurotrip-2015-pictures.777356/#post-10990321

I've done that Eurotrip, and another with friends a couple of years ago. It's awesome fun and the best holidays I've ever had, flying just doesn't compare! If you want any more advice on how to plan it all etc. I'm happy to help!

Currently my costs are looking like reasonable for 2 weeks (sub £2k), I imagine it'll end up more

How much should I expect to spend on tolls?

Suzuki Jimny
12v cool box is a great shout, I'll see if my parents still have theirs!

Currently my costs are looking like reasonable for 2 weeks (sub £2k), I imagine it'll end up more

How much should I expect to spend on tolls?

Chuck your route into michelin route planner for a guide :)