ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Epic Euro Road Trip - FULL REPORT

172, Tiguan
Missed this, but what a cracking read it was! Have done a few things similar, and just love being in the mountains. My favourite place ever.

Can't recommend the Alan Rogers book enough either!

Never understand why people spend thousands and thousands on some holidays when Europe has so much to offer that needs to be seen. Cracking!

Monaco 172
Hehe seems everyone is happy with my bump lol I have been looking at doing this for a while now but my mates are heading to the southern hemisphere for 6 months so looking to have a nice trip over the summer with the mrs instead, just need to work out costs :(

What sort of insurance would I need to be looking at?

Need high vis jacket in my car aswell now don't I?

Links to similar trips?

Lukas

Charged Superleggera
Bumpity Bump

Epic Epic Epic, planning to do something similar this year with the Mrs, just wondering, what wheels you have on the PH1, they are awesome, or if anyone could tell me?

Anyone planning something similar this summer?

Lukas

wheels are ats cups. yeh planning something similar next year hopefully mate.

Ph1 172.
Bumpity Bump

Epic Epic Epic, planning to do something similar this year with the Mrs, just wondering, what wheels you have on the PH1, they are awesome, or if anyone could tell me?

Anyone planning something similar this summer?

Lukas

They are ATS Cups. I really want some too, but they'll have to wait!

I'm doing something similar to this in the summer. Me and the misses are spending 4 days driving to the south of France, taking the long scenic route. Staying in a chalet for a week going on daily excursions and then taking a different route home for 4 days. I just hope my 172 holds up!

You will need hi-visibilty jackets, you'll also probably want some kind of breakdown cover, just in case.

cheers again guys.

The wheels are actually Aluline cups. Im told they are much earlier than the ats 'copies' but the design differences are very subtle.

Insurance wise, most companies cover european driving, they just ask that you notify them before the trip. Of course, give your own insurer a ring and find out what your policy allows.

Driving wise, you are legally required to have hi-vis jackets, headlamp deflectors, a gb sticker or the banding on your number plates, some spare bulbs and a warning triangle.
If you plan to drive in switzerland (which you should - its epic) then you'll also need a vignette sticker - its essentially their road tax, and its pretty much the only thing the border guards will look for as you cross borders. You can buy them at petrol stations near the border, but save the hastle and order one from the Swiss Travel Centre - they're only £27 so thers no excuse.

I strongly advise breakdown cover - luckily i didnt need it but you dont want to snuff it on the side of some lonely mountain road when you cant speak the language, let alone work out whats wrong with the car. The AA do short-term cover between specific dates of a holiday which works out very reasonable and gives you that piece of mind.

The best advise i can give of all is go do it. There isnt one day that goes by without me thiking back to this trip and the truly stunning roads and scenery. Some amazing memories, and theres no reason why you shouldnt have some too.

Iceberg 172
That is spot on! So so jealous! Once I do a few more "all inclusive bored shitless" holiday's with the mrs I'll persuade her to do this as amazingly she wants to go camping (i personally don't!).

Out of interest, how old are you???

Is there crazy amount of camber on your front wheels?

Clio Dci
How did i miss this? sheer Epic-ness!!! was suppost to do this with my mate in his V8 Stag, never got round to it though :dapprove:

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3
DSCF2554lhigh__lowcopy.jpg

what a great photo. so jealous!

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Is that topgeartoms old car then? It's a fantastic feeling after reading the topic to see that it's not been smashed up and is still being looked after!