ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EuroTrip 2013. France, Italy, Austria, Germany.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
So for this years holiday, 4 of us lads decided to do a little roadtrip. We all booked 2 weeks off work, and planned a route that incorporated a bit of everything we all wanted. Me and Richard, being car nuts picked a few things you guys might like. So thought I'd post it up!

cv2p.png

This is there, or thereabouts the route we took. Although, as with all trips, not all went to plan here and there. Please forgive me as I dont have all the pictures (namely, the phone pictures) on my Flickr. So this is just a brief "Highlights" reel.

So to begin, cue a very early sunday morning in a very bleak part of england.

9607813949_4a3a441946_z.jpg

Dover. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

4 up, with a roofbox and a bootfull in an Audi A4 we made good progress. So good in fact, Richard said he could make it in one to Marseille. 20 Hours after setting off, thats where we ended up for the first night. Word of advise, Marseille is a s**tehole. I was scared for our lives. However, we did survive and decided to get out of there... pronto!

9607798903_3c68528cf5_z.jpg

Marseille, France. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

9611025696_c5b37eb928_z.jpg

France. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

That night we had nowhere definite to stay, so decided to go and check out Cannes and see what campsites were about. You do find some interesting things in French piss stops though...

9611019694_35c5601e81_z.jpg

France. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

By evening, we had a problem. Everywhere was booked and we had to face the reality we were going to spend the night in a service station. However, we were all still quite awake by the early hours so.... why not visit Monaco?

9610989770_5dacc872b6_z.jpg

Monaco by night. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

9607764663_984eacc972_z.jpg

9607780133_616af435e7_z.jpg

A few laps of the track later, we decided to drive further along the French coastline and find a decent service stop. This is when we ended up in Italy for a bit, before refueling and turning around. We ended up sleeping somewhere near Cannes in a service stop. Me and Alex stayed in the car, while Richard and Neil took their sleeping bags outside for a kip under the stars. Benders.

9610985340_e405e9e4c1_z.jpg

Southern France. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

In the haze of a hot morning, we decided that we had to make sure that didn't happen again. Purely for comfort reasons, it was at that point we spotted two english guys asleep in a Caterham. Guess it wasnt that bad then!

So armed with a rising data bill, we managed to (Via the powers of Google) find a campsite in a small french town called "Agay". Fnar fnar, we pitched our tent in Agay etc.

9610973952_21f77fe261_z.jpg

Southern France. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

9610969212_33620994ca_z.jpg

Agay, France. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

The previous nights bad sleep and dodgey french Mcdonalds had left Richard out of action. I decided to listen to Ricky Gervais podcasts and chill out, while the other two went for a walk to see our surroundings. It was a mere few hours before they turned up on scooters. FFS.

9607718281_65dd30cfd8_z.jpg

Agay, France. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

After two days, it was time to leave france behind (kind of) and Move on to Italy. Not before stopping off in Monaco again though!

9607698407_7291acbcd7_z.jpg

Monaco. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

9610909850_c4accfa570_z.jpg

This was one of the highlights of my trip. Such a nice place, with lots to do and see.

9607649833_7b1aafea5d_z.jpg

9610871138_7756fd8c4d_z.jpg

9607625307_bccfd70721_z.jpg

9607604939_1ffc382540_z.jpg

9610822280_c7788ebbb2_z.jpg

So, onto Italy. After a brief night in Genova, we moved onto Monza/Milan. On route we picked up a few things. Including annoying presents for eachother. Rules were, it had to be under 5 Euros and you had to carry them with you for the rest of the trip. I got a pink pearl necklace, Neil got a childs rubber ring, Alex got a rubber chicken and Richard ended up with a hideous welcome mat.

Unfortunately it was an Italian public holiday, so we couldn't get onto the track. And after a very messy night, I only took a few hungover photos of Milan itself.

9610513352_93a8d815af_z.jpg

Milan, Italy. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

9610523368_eedde6de98_z.jpg

9607300941_743d870c24_z.jpg

We then set off for Lake Como. On route, we saw some lovely scenery. Only once interrupted by Jeremy Clarkson creeping onto our side of the road, "Whos that tw*t in the F-Type.... oh".

Anyway...

9610503228_f6b69f242d_z.jpg

Italy. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

9610477960_cfed8b7224_z.jpg

Lake Como, Italy. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

After a couple of nights in a noise campsite, we headed across the Lake and onto Bormio for lunch.

9607239839_194d88e721_z.jpg

9610463472_5e73d6b600_z.jpg

9607213149_c83759b176_z.jpg

It was amazing to get such a change of scenery. The Bormio lunch break was our last Italian meal, before heading further into the alps, and stelvio pass.

9607208813_3a40f098fc_z.jpg

Bormio, Italy. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

9610425380_2d05e98e95_z.jpg

Stelvio Pass. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

This road, was amazing. It definitely lived up to the hype even in the pissing rain! Quite an engineering marvel.

9610407532_24fe6c0005_z.jpg

9607167575_8c0f08a06e_z.jpg

So into Austria, and some more amazing views.

9607150863_16c537f890_z.jpg

Somewhere in Austria. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

9607155989_edbd8970a3_z.jpg

Somewhere in Austria. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

We booked a guesthouse that was worryingly cheap. Two bedrooms, seperate bathrooms, living area and kitchen. All for 70 euros? Given our past hotel/campsite experiences we were worried. But it turned out to be (for me) the nicest stop of the trip. We were located next door to Austrian hero, Benny Reich. With great views down into the next town. Perfect stop.

Anyway, it was time for Germany. And the first stop will go down in history for all 4 of us, the day we nearly died on a mountain (Probably).

This is Neuschwanstein Castle, and we ended up walking up the mountain directly to the left of it. It only took 1L of beer to convince us it was a good Idea. No equipment, myself in skinny jeans and Nikes.

9610794782_75cdbf4d09_z.jpg

Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

Anyway, first off, the walk to the castle itself was very spectacular.

9610789366_88262e9562_z.jpg

9610767826_60b861e0de_z.jpg

9607497865_6efb7a7d76_z.jpg

9610715906_d050503ece_z.jpg

German beer, it is the greatest of all.

9610699830_1fdda39634_z.jpg

9607461601_9e393323e9_z.jpg

The mountain climb was hell. But the views were pretty spectacular.

9610690080_20451de8c0_z.jpg

9607440475_199f6aa098_z.jpg

The others overtook me walking down, due to my unfit asthmatic lungs. That is the last I saw of them for about 2 hours. I ended up standing by the car wondering if they had died or been eaten by Manbearpig. Turns out, they took a wrong turn, had to cross a stream and jump off things to find a road. Idiots.

The next stop was Munich. A friend of mine who works for BMW put us up for the night, and it was awesome. I didnt use my camera, I just got hammered and ate meat. Oh, I did visit the BMW Museum too. Germany is fantastic, and I recommend it to any of you. Autobahns are crazy. Everyone drives fantastic, and fast. Sitting at 110mph wondering if our roofbox would blow off, and people were passing us like we were stood still. Derestricted motorways wont work in our country for sure, but they work there.

Moving on, Stuttgart. For obvious reasons.

9607337261_1cf6b70dc0_z.jpg

Porsche, Stuttgart. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

9610657180_43dd99077d_z.jpg

Porsche Museum. Stuttgart, Germany. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

9607404989_4cebd5a5a3_z.jpg

9607399253_48ac9cab21_z.jpg

9607392399_7d2d34296a_z.jpg

9610613680_e0aff578ac_z.jpg

9610607338_0b44d80afd_z.jpg

IndyCar, Porsche Museum. Stuttgart, Germany. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

9607367359_c14dd42d89_z.jpg

911's. Stuttgart, Germany. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

9610575886_3f93c9ccb0_z.jpg

Porsche 959, Stuttgart. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

After a night in a Hotel, we set off for a campsite in the Black Forrest after a trip to Baden Baden.

9610564828_2f8b9c06b0_z.jpg

Black Forrest, Germany. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

The area is lovely, and was a fantastic end to the trip.

9610552182_89e5ede3f8_z.jpg

9610557846_f4b20f898f_z.jpg

Wide, sweeping turns and perfectly paved roads. Motorbikes were loving it, as were we. Even if we were 4 up in a overloaded A4 Diesel.

So that was it, a trip home through france and 2 weeks were over. I'd highly recommend something similar to anyone else, we are already planning a second trip. Although, Richard wants to take his Corvette this time. So may cost quite a bit more...

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Awesome stuff mate, I'd love to do something like this.

Nice pics too!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Nice read Jason, I'm pretty envious (bar the car choice).

Did a mini trip with the mrs a few year back, but I want to do a bigger, more driving and beer related one with the lads at some point very soon.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Nice one Jason, great read and pics!

I can't help but think you wish you had something a little 'pokier' when seeing roads like that?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
As I say, Richard has a corvette so he was missing that for sure! And I did want my GTI. Next year ;).

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Looks fantastic.

I keep saying it, but I need to do a Euro trip of some sort!

Megane 225 F1
Epic read mate. Looks like a fantastic holiday. We were meant to do something similar the summer just gone, but it fell through :(

How come you didn't stop at the ring?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Looks a good holiday! Can I ask how much it set you all back roughly? I 'spose all being in the same car saved a lot.

Clio Sport 182
Great read! Would really wanna do something similar to this, top idea.

Roughly how much did you spend overall on the trip? What was your budget if you dont mind me asking?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Brilliant.

I regret not doing a trip this year so really want to do one next year, looks a good route too.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I went to Monaco, Cannes and the Stelvio on my trip.

​Stelvio is insane!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Cheers everyone! Was an experience I will never forget, and I will have to do it again.

Epic read mate. Looks like a fantastic holiday. We were meant to do something similar the summer just gone, but it fell through :(

How come you didn't stop at the ring?

Was a bit out of the way, and with all 4 of us we had to make compromises. The other 2 werent car guys, but next year we will!

Looks a good holiday! Can I ask how much it set you all back roughly? I 'spose all being in the same car saved a lot.

I set my budget at £1000. All in it cost under £900, and as you say thats purely because we split everything 4 ways. We had two free nights in Munich due to a mate putting us up, and split the rest as campsites and hotels. The driving really takes it out of you! Mainly for the driver, obviously, but surprisingly a lot for passengers. I'd reccomend and minimum having a place to stay the night booked in advance to avoid last minute panics.

Jason, I paraglided over that castle about 11 years ago!

We were shouting HALLOOOO! at para gliders when we got to the top FLOL.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
So Booner (Richard) did a video, and it's very good. I implore you all to watch it... in HD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
No he bought one off Amazon IIRC. Along with the pole and a few other bits. I need to get collecting parts for mine now!

Just finished that watching that video, the whole trip looked epic, one of those things you talk about with your mates but never do, so fair play!

Videa was pretty well put together too!

172, Tiguan
Great report and great pictures. It did make me chuckle, I ended up doing something very similar in Cannes on year, infact I've even used that campsite at Agay. I love that part of France, Cannes is brilliant. I love the atmosphere of the place.

I found Genoa a right dive tbh. Found a nice hotel just outside though and then drove from there all the way back to Blighty in a track car in one go. Stupid thing to do, but I'll never forget it.

I bet the Audi was perfect for this trip? A mate and I went round Europe in a Laguna once. It was the perfect car in a way.

This thread has brought back a load of memories. I'd urge everyone reading to do it at least once.

Cheers

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Great report and great pictures. It did make me chuckle, I ended up doing something very similar in Cannes on year, infact I've even used that campsite at Agay. I love that part of France, Cannes is brilliant. I love the atmosphere of the place.

I found Genoa a right dive tbh. Found a nice hotel just outside though and then drove from there all the way back to Blighty in a track car in one go. Stupid thing to do, but I'll never forget it.

I bet the Audi was perfect for this trip? A mate and I went round Europe in a Laguna once. It was the perfect car in a way.

This thread has brought back a load of memories. I'd urge everyone reading to do it at least once.

Cheers

Yeah, agree with you about Genoa. The hotel we got wasn't that bad though, and the people seemed alright. It was merely a rest-stop on the way to Monza/Milan.

The Audi was fantastic. Maybe on some roads, we wanted our own cars. But for the majority of it, I couldn't fault it. It swallowed all 4 of us, the luggage, a roofrack etc. and I think it still averaged over 40 mpg.

Epic Epic Epic video!

I cant wait now. 3 days to go!

Have fun dude! You'll love it.