ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ever felt guilty?

Racin Blue 182
Sounds really stupid, I know, but have you ever felt guilty for thrashing your car?

Last night, had three 'lads' in a Nova GSi behind, stuck to the bumper, tryin to provoke me. Anyway, thought I'd oblige 'em and on a dual carriageway near me, opened it up and really hammered it. Pulled out big gaps several times between roundabouts but they kept tryin!!!

After having bounced off the limiter a couple of times in 2nd, when I got home, I couldn't help but feel guilty for the thrashing I'd just given my car! Didn't last long though, as the grin always returns!!!

God I love my car!!:eek:

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
yes, but I hammer it all the time. I make up for it by polishing it lots and keeping it clean. lol

BMW 535D
i only ever feel guilty when i gun it past other cars on a dual carriageway, can't help thinking they must think im a right tw*t

Turbos.
I don't feel guilty for the car, i often give myself a talking to for speeding as admittedly i do some wildy illegal speeds at times.

Clio v6
tr1pp1n said:
sometimes yes lol

As long as it comes home in one piece then thats all that matters

......... and not to many dead people strewn all over the roads.

Racin Blue 182
chris_m182 said:
i only ever feel guilty when i gun it past other cars on a dual carriageway, can't help thinking they must think im a right tw*t

I get that when I overtake Micra's (or similar) - I actually keep the revs down so it doesn't sound/look too aggressive!! lol

Arctic Blue 182
chris_m182 said:

hehe! me too.

BMW M135i
Yep, got that feeling this morning, always feel bad for giving it a good cane but its oh so much fun.

chris_m182 said:

Yup I think that too!

And I usually feel bit guilty if I bounce it off the limiter - esp if I'm not expecting it - or when I occasionally miss 3rd gear because I'm trying to rush the change and get that horrible crunching noise :eek: I'm not a bad driver really!

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
i felt guilty for thrashing my 1.2 dynamic.. never bounced of the limiter. but i did drive it hard.. and trashed the pads and discs in 10000 miles. I dont feel guilty for drving the 172 hard because i know its made for it. If a chav/bunch of idiots want a show down in what ever car ill smoke em... but if its a bloke wit his girl in a not so gud car, im always humble.

Astra SRi T
i sometimes push my car rev counbter to the 6 mark in 3rd gear is that bad?, its only a 1.2 and the rev counter only goes up to 7

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
i rarely used to let the dyanmic hit 6000 revs.. the car is starving of air at that point..peak torque is between 3-4 and i changed at 5 so the next gear would fall into that range. 6k is too much dude.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
yeah i wish i had a 182...alls i can abuse is corsas lol

stupid bloody 1.2 8v corsa keeps sittin up my arse every time i go out....same car...and each time i end up rising to the bait and leavin him in the background...then next time i see him...hes at it again!
lol

Astra SRi T
i thought so, sometimes i hit a point on the revs and it just wont take anymore in that gear , i dont do it often, do u think any damage has been done??

Trophy #473
after a bit of 'progressive driving' ;) i always rub the dash top and say sorry..... yes i really do. even used to do it to my 1.2

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
so long as you dont rag it to 6k all the time it should be ok.. but i was told that the spark plugs need replacing earlier if driven at high revs.. never heard of anything else go wrong tho... my plugs were done at 16000 as a result of hard driving.

But i know exactly what you mean 6k in 3rd and theres nothing in it..The dynamic is a fantastic car and is far better than any 1.2 and even 1.4s ive seen. I miss mine. lol

Audi TT 3.2 V6
nathanH said:
after a bit of 'progressive driving' ;) i always rub the dash top and say sorry..... yes i really do. even used to do it to my 1.2

lol i must confess i have been also been known to do that...and pat the dash if she outruns another small engined hot hatch hehe

BMW M135i
nathanH said:

Yep been there done that, it also gets a stroke if its just made me smile for one reason or another too. Oh my god how sad am I :eek: .

I also give my car a thrashing everytime I go out, always on the limiter and changing gear in the lowest possible depending on speed on the right roads ofcourse. I find it opens the engine up more and get better response.

I hate it when I over take someone and they put their bull beam on in protest simply because I have a fast car and it looks like am going mad!! :mad: :mad:

I feel guility if I'm taking it easy but pick up the revs and the exhaust gets going. Good do'ers stop and give me a shitty look and I feel like getting out and having words that I'm not even doing 30mph!!

Sorry but this just happened to be, some bloke almost ran out in the road on me! I wonder if he would of done that if I was in a 911 or something... no! :mad:

Clio IV 0,9 Tce
Yeah mee too, thrased the valver really hard, and in the end the brakes started to fade. I really felt guilty

Mazda MX5 1.8
i feel sorry for my car every time i open it up and drive it hard :(

always rub the steering wheel to say sorry lol

still never hit the limiter tho

Octavia VRS
only hit the limiter a couple of times lol - must try harder!

Sometimes feel a bit guilty if I have driven mine harder than I should, or it's had a good thrashing. However if the car is in one piece by the time I get home then that's the main thing.

Look after the old girl tho and clean her regularly so 'she' knows I love her really!

tiTTy & SV650
lol nope, as long as its warmed fully. feel silly if it bounces off a lowered rev limit as its not warm, not guilty though lol I paid for it.

R35 GTR
Only feel guilty if I do silly speeds, which doesnt happen alot anymore and only on motorways.

But its my car and I'll drive it as hard as I want.:approve:

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
lol....i used to when the car was new.
Now its worth 57p i couldnt give a sh1t. As long as its warned up correctly and serviced when it should It will be fine..They are built to be run fast.

Nissan 350Z
I'm trying to work out why people feel guilty about this.

It was designed to be revved. As long as its warm, I very much doubt your causing any damage. Cars will wear out regardless. Just enjoy what you have.

For what its worth i dont bounce mine off the limiter - whats the point? I make sure to change up @ 7000 rpm in the early gears and 6500 rpm in the later gears (except in 5th lol). Hitting the limiter causes transmission shock (not good).

BMW E46 330i Touring
Not guilty so much, but I do pay attention to who's around me and don't like to rag her if there's lots of people around thinking "chav boy racer...". I do occasionally worry if I drive it a bit too hard and never hit the limiter, because there's just no need to go that far.

106 GTi
Never feel guilty, thats what there built for. Ocassional school boy error in a catch of the limiter at times, but you need to be changing just shy of it to have it right in the sweet spot for the next gear.